Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This has been baffling me, every resource I look at says something different.

My revision guide says B cells (before differentiation) have cell surface antiobodies which bind to complementary antigens. <This along with substances (cytokines) released from T helper cells activates the B cell to divide into plasma cells (B effector) and B memory cells. The plasma cells then release specific antibodies which bind to specific antigens creating an antigen-antibody complex which T killer cells bind to and kill.

My text book says B cells (undifferentiated) have cell surface receptors, these bind to complementary antigens on pathogens, the B cell becomes an APC (antigen presenting cell). Then activated T helper cells with complementary receptors bind to the APC and produce cytokines which stimulate the B cell divison into plasma and memory B cells.

In short, DO UNDIFFERENTIATED B CELLS HAVE CELL SURFACE RECEPTORS OF ANTIBODIES?!

thanks

ReputationRep:
    The cell surface receptors are antibodies. So basically what they release in soluble form is also found on their surface to recognise the specific antigen they are against.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.