The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
d750
I'm sure the patients he'll have to treat at the end would expect him to have tried to do the best he could throughout.

In reality though, which self-respecting medic/dentist etc etc doesn't work hard and PLAY just as hard?! :biggrin: Notably he DID say that after he'd just been graded a C on his medical history type thing, i think.
Reply 41
timeofyourlife
any medics know what percentage of the year get honours? i'm assuming this is fairly constant throughout med schools...

I think it varies.

For example, the first GEP intake graduated from SGHMS this summer. 50% got merits or distinctions: 7 distinctions, 10 merits, 17 passes.

Impressive!
Reply 42
Sahir
In reality though, which self-respecting medic/dentist etc etc doesn't work hard and PLAY just as hard?! :biggrin: Notably he DID say that after he'd just been graded a C on his medical history type thing, i think.

It seems that more than any other types of student, med students feel they have an image of themselves to live up to. It all seems quite phoney at times. And the "work hard play hard" ethic seems (imo) just to provide some people with an excuse to behave like idiots / animals. Its hardly a rewarding way to live your life.
Reply 43
d750
And the "work hard play hard" ethic seems (imo) just to provide some people with an excuse to behave like idiots / animals. Its hardly a rewarding way to live your life.

I whole heartedly agree with this.

IMHO, the problem lies in putting the huge amount of responsibility a career in medicine requires on such (usually) young heads.
Reply 44

Me thinks every uni should have their own pencil queen!
Fluffy
OMGGGGG!!!!

Bring it on! Getting to stick your hand in someones body! And as a 3rd year! How kewl is that?

I got to too! And I'm only 16, just did GCSEs, doing work experience!!! :eek: :biggrin:
Reply 46
d750
It seems that more than any other types of student, med students feel they have an image of themselves to live up to. It all seems quite phoney at times. And the "work hard play hard" ethic seems (imo) just to provide some people with an excuse to behave like idiots / animals. Its hardly a rewarding way to live your life.

Yes, there is something disturbingly "macho" about it.
Reply 47
shiny
Yes, there is something disturbingly "macho" about it.

well i don't know about other med schools, but here instead of 'work hard, play harder', it seems to be "work hard, work harder"!
Reply 48
timeofyourlife
well i don't know about other med schools, but here instead of 'work hard, play harder', it seems to be "work hard, work harder"!

I dunno??? I knew a couple of Bristol medics who were more "work hard, play hard" people :frown:

P.S. Not trying to stereotype medics obviously but the ones I encounter tend to be the more loud and boisterous ones! :rolleyes:
Reply 49
shiny
I dunno??? I knew a couple of Bristol medics who were more "work hard, play hard" people :frown:

P.S. Not trying to stereotype medics obviously but the ones I encounter tend to be the more loud and boisterous ones! :rolleyes:

hehe, yeah but i wouldn't say medics 'play harder' than other students (esp those who don't have to get up til 11 :mad: ), except of course after exams!

i was deeply surprised by the amount of medics who spend most of their time in the library! shocking behaviour!
Reply 50
timeofyourlife
hehe, yeah but i wouldn't say medics 'play harder' than other students (esp those who don't have to get up til 11 :mad: )
I hate the 11am types - but not as much as the 2pm types! In my first year, my next door neighbour, who was doing American Studies hasd 4 hours a week - yes 4! Her earliest start was 2pm :frown:

Not nice when you have 4 X 8.30 am starts and one 9.30 starts, and are in lectures/labs til 6pm. Grrrrr and twice grrr!
Reply 51
Fluffy
I hate the 11am types - but not as much as the 2pm types! In my first year, my next door neighbour, who was doing American Studies hasd 4 hours a week - yes 4! Her earliest start was 2pm :frown:

Not nice when you have 4 X 8.30 am starts and one 9.30 starts, and are in lectures/labs til 6pm. Grrrrr and twice grrr!

lol, i always used to 'affectionately' remind one of my "2pm" friends that they'd have to become accustomed to getting up earlier sooner or later - for the dole queue :biggrin:
Reply 52
timeofyourlife
lol, i always used to 'affectionately' remind one of my "2pm" friends that they'd have to become accustomed to getting up earlier sooner or later - for the dole queue :biggrin:

Bless! At least you were preparing them for life in the real world :tongue: :smile:
Reply 53
fluffy, did you say at one point you went to UWS for an undergraduate degree?
Reply 54
timeofyourlife
fluffy, did you say at one point you went to UWS for an undergraduate degree?
Yup - Genetics. Loved it - almost did my PhD there...
Reply 55
Fluffy
Yup - Genetics. Loved it - almost did my PhD there...

ah good old Wind Street and the Kingsway. a mate lives in the mumbles. don't think much of their teaching hospitals though.
Reply 56
timeofyourlife
ah good old Wind Street and the Kingsway. a mate lives in the mumbles. don't think much of their teaching hospitals though.
Ahh! 'Wine' Street :biggrin:

I used to live on the Mumbles, behind the Rugby Club :biggrin: Fantastic :biggrin:

I spent two weeks in Singleton with a kidney infection in my final year - total pit! Part of the reason (well THE main reason!) I turned down a virtually guarenteed pop at the UoW GEP...
Reply 57
Fluffy
Ahh! 'Wine' Street :biggrin:

I used to live on the Mumbles, behind the Rugby Club :biggrin: Fantastic :biggrin:

I spent two weeks in Singleton with a kidney infection in my final year - total pit! Part of the reason (well THE main reason!) I turned down a virtually guarenteed pop at the UoW GEP...

mumbles is really good - especially verdis and the 'mumbles mile'!

oh singleton, well there are worse places *morriston*. i do like the swansea nightlife though, not a bad place for students.
Reply 58
timeofyourlife
mumbles is really good - especially verdis and the 'mumbles mile'!

oh singleton, well there are worse places *morriston*. i do like the swansea nightlife though, not a bad place for students.

Hell no - Morriston is a squillion times better than Singleton!

Verdis is Ok - I prefer Joes for a quick sundae though :biggrin:

I also like the restuarant that used to be Neptunes in Mumbles (can't remember it's name - we had our flat leaving meal there in May 1999 - was so drunk I ended up singing with the instrumental house band for most of the evening, and coming out £50 better off with the offer of a full time gig :biggrin:).

Swansea does rock! I had the time of my life there!
Reply 59
It was Castellamera! Old Uni friends on MSN save the day!!!

Our choice of leaving meal was either going to be there or at Olchfa House - but given I worked at OH for the best part of 3 years, we bailed out Mumbles stylee!!

Latest