Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbailey)
    There's nothing worse than seeing drunken anatomy demonstrators in Cocos.

EDIT: Cocos being a club in Cambridge.
    Oh, you were there on that rather memorable night then? It was very funny, if only for the sight of one of the twins absolutely and utterly wrecked. I wasn't paying them much attention that night though...for once

I wasn't hugely impressed with the programme, although wow, I wanna be a clinical student! I really felt that they only skimmed the surface, although hopefully the next few programmes might expand a little more.

ReputationRep:
    Clinicals are fab!

I was quite surprised they don't often get the opportunity to 'assist' in theatre though - I've recently finished a 7 week surgical attachment, and scrubbed in at least once a week, being allowed to do bits and pieces.

Someone mentioned honours...
    At nottingham, I think 12-15 out of more than 200 got honours this year. It's quite 'rare' at Nottingham. You have to consistently score over 70% in exams, including finals (The actual 'requirements' are complicated, but that's the general jist)

ReputationRep:
    dilemma..

who will fail the third year in the next programme?

i'm on the edge of my seat as i post.

ReputationRep:
    well, today I started psychiatry.

However, it's forensic psychiatry at a high security unit... attempted murder etc. I'm left alone to interview them. aaaaarrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)

However, it's forensic psychiatry at a high security unit... attempted murder etc. I'm left alone to interview them. aaaaarrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh
    Hmmm, a bit Silence of the Lambs, hey? Scary stuff, I'm dreading Psychiatry as I'm sure they'll all hate me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Hmmm, a bit Silence of the Lambs, hey? Scary stuff, I'm dreading Psychiatry as I'm sure they'll all hate me.

I doubt it, i would guess some of them would be glad to talk to someone who won't patronise them and is genuinely interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)

*feels sorry for joy*

you better not get murdered otherwise you may as well spent the last 6 years as a lady of leisure getting pissed every night.

the trouble these days is that they've come up with a personality disorder for everything prison just isn't prison any more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)

i would guess some of them would be glad to talk to someone who won't patronise them
    *sticks up hand*

i'm thinking my bedside manner does need some work. will find out next month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)

I doubt it, i would guess some of them would be glad to talk to someone who won't patronise them and is genuinely interested.
    That's the thing - I am really interested and want to know about these things, but somehow I think my manner comes out as rather snotty and superior. I don't know why, and I don't mean it to, it just does. I had trouble with it at work last year, though I genuinely was trying to help people, they took a dislike to me, so I have to look into that.

ReputationRep:
    I had trouble with it at work last year, though I genuinely was trying to help people, they took a dislike to me, so I have to look into that.
    me too. i worked as a checkout supervisor for tesco and managed to collect 4 staff grievances in the space of 6 months. have since realised that not everyone appreciates people that speak their mind.

ReputationRep:
    That's the thing - I am really interested and want to know about these things, but somehow I think my manner comes out as rather snotty and superior. I don't know why, and I don't mean it to, it just does. I had trouble with it at work last year, though I genuinely was trying to help people, they took a dislike to me, so I have to look into that.
    Well when i was in hospital i was just glad of someone normal to talk to. *Suddenly realises that they saw me as abnormal and goes off to sulk...* Its hard not to go in with preconceptions, but if you were to talk to me on the street you probably wouldn't know i'd been treated in a psychiatric hospital. There is such a mixture of people in places like that, and i'm sure some patients will be understanding about your nerves and the like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    me too. i worked as a checkout supervisor for tesco and managed to collect 4 staff grievances in the space of 6 months. have since realised that not everyone appreciates people that speak their mind.

When i worked at superdrug i was always getting called into the office for being too "honest" with customers. I used to tell them that just because i had a uniform on didn't mean they could take the p*ss with me and that if i were to see them on the street and they talked to me like that i'd probably knock them out.

I was definitely not flavour of the month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)

When i worked at superdrug i was always getting called into the office for being too "honest" with customers. I used to tell them that just because i had a uniform on didn't mean they could take the p*ss with me and that if i were to see them on the street and they talked to me like that i'd probably knock them out.

I was definitely not flavour of the month.
    lol, i didn't put up with any crap from customers either. my main issues were with the staff though. caught this lazy ***** reading a newspaper on a checkout on my shift, suffice to say she didn't like a mere 17 year old telling her off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    dilemma..

who will fail the third year in the next programme?

i'm on the edge of my seat as i post.
    when is the next program, and what time??.. i need to catch this as i havent seen any of this sort before (at least on TV anyway).

ReputationRep:
    Psychiatry is fascinating, and the skills required are incredible.

I was really dreading 2 rotations- health care of the elderly, and psychiatry. Therefore, I thought the week of psychogeriatrics was going to be awful. It turned out to be one of the best weeks I've had.

Just survived day 2 of forensic psych... It's absolutely unbelievable. Plucked up the courage to go and take histories and mental states from a few of the patients today alone (bear in mind most have been in Rampton for awful offences). I actually think I did ok and quite enjoyed it in a weird sense. Can't say forensics is the career for me, however, very interesting. Would have been useful to do some 'general psychiatry' first though!!!

ReputationRep:
    Next Monday 10pm ITV (well this is when it usually is)

ReputationRep:
    Is Helenia the cutest medical student?

ReputationRep:
    My previous post was a question... No personal opinion is implied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KerChing)
    when is the next program, and what time??.. i need to catch this as i havent seen any of this sort before (at least on TV anyway).
    Next Monday, 10pm, I think. Last in the series.

Sarky - thanks for the reassurance! I try never to be rude, but sometimes people and their abuse really got to me. Grrr. I did interview one patient in my GP visits who was recovering from depression and she was really great to talk to - told us lots of really interesting things about her experiences. We'll see when I get there though...

Pol - I doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    Next Monday, 10pm, I think. Last in the series.
    Is this on today? I've tried looking at the listings but it doesn't seem to be listed. May be that cos the schedule got messed up 2 weeks ago that it may not have been updated?

Thanx.

:confused:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.