Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    From the given ans , i knew that it's conditionally convergent (by using alternating test) i can understand the working to show that it's conditionally convergent . But , i also wanna show it as not absolutely convergent ....

to prove that the series is not absolutely convergent , we would use ratio test , when the ratio is bigger than 1 , the series is said to be not absolutely convergent however , i gt 1 (there's no conclusion whether the series is absolutely convergent or not )https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratio_test

ReputationRep:
    Compare with harmonic series for instance - 1/n. If you want proof for that one then there are tons available.
    Absolutely convergent means the sum of the modulus of your sequence is convergent. that is | ( -1)/ n^1/2 | = 1/n^1/2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassassin04)
    Compare with harmonic series for instance - 1/n. If you want proof for that one then there are tons available.
    Absolutely convergent means the sum of the modulus of your sequence is convergent. that is | ( -1)/ n^1/2 | = 1/n^1/2.
    How to show that it's not absolutely convergent? I gt ratio =1, which is inconclusive......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilson dang)
    How to show that it's not absolutely convergent? I gt ratio =1, which is inconclusive......
    Ratio test does not always give you the answer, in particular when the ratio is 1... So you must use other methods.
    Again, absolutely convergent means that the sum of the mod of your sequence must converge. So you should be looking at the sum of 1/sqrtn and determine whether it converges or not. By comparison test sum 1/sqrtn > sum 1/n . Sum 1/n diverges therefore 1/sqrtn diverges. The proof of harmonic series ( 1/n ) divergence is a popular result.. one way is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yyLfrsSXQQ
    You can use other methods of course -e.g. integral test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassassin04)
    Ratio test does not always give you the answer, in particular when the ratio is 1... So you must use other methods.
    Again, absolutely convergent means that the sum of the mod of your sequence must converge. So you should be looking at the sum of 1/sqrtn and determine whether it converges or not. By comparison test sum 1/sqrtn > sum 1/n . Sum 1/n diverges therefore 1/sqrtn diverges. The proof of harmonic series ( 1/n ) divergence is a popular result.. one way is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yyLfrsSXQQ
    You can use other methods of course -e.g. integral test.
    do you mean to show that the series is not absolutely convergent , we would use ratio test first , and after found that it's not working , we would use the p -series test to show that it's not absolutely convergent ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilson dang)
    do you mean to show that the series is not absolutely convergent , we would use ratio test first , and after found that it's not working , we would use the p -series test to show that it's not absolutely convergent ?
    Do you understand what does it mean for a series to be absolutely convergent? You do not have to use the ratio test..

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.