Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When calculating the energy transferred I get that you just sub the data given into q=mc(delta T) and then to find the enthalpy change you do q/n(moles) however how do you know what solution you need to work the moles out for.

I have a question asking to work out the enthalpy change of NaOH +H2SO4 but when i worked out the moles of each solution they were different NaOH was 0.02 and H2SO4 was 0.01, I dont know what i divide my q value by. Do I add the moles together? or do I just use one of the solutions?

Sorry if this makes no sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lummzie)
    When calculating the energy transferred I get that you just sub the data given into q=mc(delta T) and then to find the enthalpy change you do q/n(moles) however how do you know what solution you need to work the moles out for.

I have a question asking to work out the enthalpy change of NaOH +H2SO4 but when i worked out the moles of each solution they were different NaOH was 0.02 and H2SO4 was 0.01, I dont know what i divide my q value by. Do I add the moles together? or do I just use one of the solutions?

the moles should be the same, i would check your calculations for moles again. Volume has to be in dm3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarr99)
    the moles should be the same, i would check your calculations for moles again. Volume has to be in dm3.
    theres 50cm3 of NaOH with conc of 0.4mol dm3 and 20cm3 of H2SO4 with conc of 0.5 mol dm3.

And the equation for moles is concentration x volume dm. And when I do that for NaOH i get 0.4*(50/1000)= 0.02 and for H2SO4 i get 0.5*(20/1000)= 0.01. I know they should be the same but they're not?

ReputationRep:
    I think its because of the different volumes of acid and alkali. Sorry but I'm actually not sure what to do myself.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by lummzie)

If you want the energy change per mole you will have to specify of what.
    For neutralisation it is per mole of water formed.

There is complete reaction in this example as 1 mol of sulfuric acid reacts with 2 mol of sodium hydroxide (look at the balanced equation)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 11, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.