Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a job offer and I can choose to either work 37.5 hours or 8 hours per week. Is 37.5 a bit much? I want to enjoy my summer, learn to code, learn a language, hand out with my friends etc. Would i be able to do all this while working so many hours?

Obviously with the 8 hour job I'll save a lot less money and I'll have less money when I go to university in September. So it's either a lot of money but not much free time or a lot of free time but not much money.

What do you think? Would it be better to work less hours now and then get a part time job at university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shumaya)
    I have a job offer and I can choose to either work 37.5 hours or 8 hours per week. Is 37.5 a bit much? I want to enjoy my summer, learn to code, learn a language, hand out with my friends etc. Would i be able to do all this while working so many hours?

Obviously with the 8 hour job I'll save a lot less money and I'll have less money when I go to university in September. So it's either a lot of money but not much free time or a lot of free time but not much money.

What do you think? Would it be better to work less hours now and then get a part time job at university?
    Easy to answer with another question and i will, eventually you'll make the decision, we're just here to sway you.
    What do you value more?
    Friends, knowledge, a social life
    or
    Money for the future?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big white)
    Easy to answer with another question and i will, eventually you'll make the decision, we're just here to sway you.
    What do you value more?
    Friends, knowledge, a social life
    or
    Money for the future?
    mmmm I think I value friends, knowledge and a social life. This will also be my first job so I'm not sure I want to jump straight into the deep end.

ReputationRep:
    mmmm I think I value friends, knowledge and a social life. This will also be my first job so I'm not sure I want to jump straight into the deep end.
    Ok so if you decide that friends and a social life are more important then take less hours.

ReputationRep:
    personalty I did it last summer and am looking to do it this summer, I did 3 months (GCSEs) last year and loved it, the experience of working was so fun, and I learned a load of new stuff (I worked in a law office), and seeing my friends doing stuff without me sucked, but the money made it so much better, I'd go for the longer hours but that's just me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessThomas6)
    personalty I did it last summer and am looking to do it this summer, I did 3 months (GCSEs) last year and loved it, the experience of working was so fun, and I learned a load of new stuff (I worked in a law office), and seeing my friends doing stuff without me sucked, but the money made it so much better, I'd go for the longer hours but that's just me!
    Are you interested in a career in law? I think if the job was related to my future career plans I'd definitely go for it. But this job is quite different to my chosen career. It's like working in a law office when you want to be a pharmacist if you see what I mean?

ReputationRep:
    Are you interested in a career in law? I think if the job was related to my future career plans I'd definitely go for it. But this job is quite different to my chosen career. It's like working in a law office when you want to be a pharmacist if you see what I mean?
    No I'm interested in photography haha, but the opportunity was too good for me to pass up, I just focused on the money all summer, and the summer where I live was a blowout so I didn't mind too much

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.