Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Only ask because I want a job, that will pay good, or the best potential after a few years, I want to buy a house...(big dream there...or it is with house prices). I was thinking some form of accountancy or trading, anyone know of other jobs?
    Bear in mind I am a white male so don't give me companies that are keen on diversity quotas as I won't get in(obviously) or sectors that are filled with loads of white males coz won't get in. Though if they pay really well suggest them anyway.
    I currently have as levels, though in august I will have A levels.
    Should have minimum
    Economics-C/B
    Further maths D/B
    Maths B/A

ReputationRep:
    I find it interesting you consider that the primary factor deciding whether you'll get hired or not is your race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    I find it interesting you consider that the primary factor deciding whether you'll get hired or not is your race.
    Think logically, diversity quotas for women and non whites and non straight people.
    Richer people that know people will still get in....
    So....those that aren't will be denied the job for diversity.(I know people that have been denied job and the reason given is diversity quotas so.))))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conservationofmass)
    Think logically, diversity quotas for women and non whites and non straight people.
    Richer people that know people will still get in....
    So....those that aren't will be denied the job for diversity.(I know people that have been denied job and the reason given is diversity quotas so.))))
    I think you'll find that such a thing is illegal and is classified as discrimination. Also if anything being a white make is likely to make you more employable (although it shouldn't).

If your friends were given that reason they should sue. Although i suspect it wasn't the reason, they've just decided it sounds better than "failed the interview".

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll find that such a thing is illegal and is classified as discrimination. Also if anything being a white make is likely to make you more employable (although it shouldn't).

If your friends were given that reason they should sue. Although i suspect it wasn't the reason, they've just decided it sounds better than "failed the interview".
    I'll give you an example, some jobs in banking offer apprenticeships, but only if you're female. Otherwise you have to go to university.

ReputationRep:
    I'll give you an example, some jobs in banking offer apprenticeships, but only if you're female. Otherwise you have to go to university.
    Link? I find such a thing very difficult to believe.

ReputationRep:
    Such schemes are like that to get more women into banking. Just like some banks offer schemes for poorer people to get into banking

ReputationRep:
    Link? I find such a thing very difficult to believe.
    can't find it atm, literally it was when I was looking through every bank/company and loads of pages so I can't remember but I did see it, the poster above confirmed tho

ReputationRep:
    can't find it atm, literally it was when I was looking through every bank/company and loads of pages so I can't remember but I did see it, the poster above confirmed tho
    I dont think they discriminate and recruit women over men in banks too.

ReputationRep:
    Ernest & Young
    JP Morgan
    Lloyds
    Barclays and the best starting salary is probably the civil service.
    With the regards to the utter shite you spouted regarding race that is simply not true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drogon)
    I dont think they discriminate and recruit women over men in banks too.
    well they obviously do as they need to employ more women.

ReputationRep:
    well they obviously do as they need to employ more women.
    http://www.studentladder.co.uk/gcse/banking.html

The schemes are not discriminatory, just gives women and the poorer people better opportunities and networks.

Oh and dont blame your status as a white male as a reason for not getting recruited, you can blame your grades instead.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.studentladder.co.uk/gcse/banking.html

The schemes are not discriminatory, just gives women and the poorer people better opportunities and networks.

Oh and dont blame your status as a white male as a reason for not getting recruited, you can blame your grades instead.
    I ain't applied for anything lmao. grades are just what I am guessing after 2 bad exams today.

ReputationRep:
    I ain't applied for anything lmao. grades are just what I am guessing after 2 bad exams today.
    dont give up mate just do well in what you have left, all im saying is that that is a more plausible reason than you being a "white male". Finance is largely meritocratic.

ReputationRep:
    dont give up mate just do well in what you have left, all im saying is that that is a more plausible reason than you being a "white male". Finance is largely meritocratic.
    I kinda have, the other 2 exams i don't even know properly so my further maths grade is going to be terrible and my teacher left for economics so I have no idea how I'll do on one unit.

ReputationRep:
    I kinda have, the other 2 exams i don't even know properly so my further maths grade is going to be terrible and my teacher left for economics so I have no idea how I'll do on one unit.
    Well its AS level. And if this has any kind of consequences then it will mean that it could be harder for you to get A level insight days so just look to improve at A2

ReputationRep:
    Well its AS level. And if this has any kind of consequences then it will mean that it could be harder for you to get A level insight days so just look to improve at A2
    it is a2 LOL was going to give the grades I had already got at as. srry for confusion
    I got ACC at as in maths, then the rest

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.