Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My bf who lives 50 miles away is planning to come over on Friday evening then meet with a mutual friend together for a drink. He was asking if he could stay over since we'll meet at 5pm & he wouldn't really drink if he's driving back, haven't each other for 2 weeks. But my single parent Asian mum won't let him back in April she allowed him to stay over twice & we didn't even sleep beside each other. I've asked her 2 weeks ago as well but she said no too. My mum has a rigid idea that the guy should be the one coming over to the girl, like what her brother did in 1990s. But it's 2016, she wouldn't let him stay for a night so we can spend more together & we only see each other every 2 weeks due to work.

Any advice would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My bf who lives 50 miles away is planning to come over on Friday evening then meet with a mutual friend together for a drink. He was asking if he could stay over since we'll meet at 5pm & he wouldn't really drink if he's driving back, haven't each other for 2 weeks. But my single parent Asian mum won't let him back in April she allowed him to stay over twice & we didn't even sleep beside each other. I've asked her 2 weeks ago as well but she said no too. My mum has a rigid idea that the guy should be the one coming over to the girl, like what her brother did in 1990s. But it's 2016, she wouldn't let him stay for a night so we can spend more together & we only see each other every 2 weeks due to work.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Well, I think that u should try to explain to her, because she let him stay before, and it was ok, then really she shouldnt have a problem, try asking her again she may agree

ReputationRep:
    Can't he spend time with you but stay at another friend's place?

ReputationRep:
    Get a hotel? Job done.

Tbh telling her you're going to stay in a hotel with him might convince her she's better off letting him crash on the sofa!

(Original post by x-bhakti-patel)
    Well, I think that u should try to explain to her, because she let him stay before, and it was ok, then really she shouldnt have a problem, try asking her again she may agree
    After she let him in April, her friends influencing her that it wasn't right to let him sleep over. I guess just convince her over & over. Thanks!

(Original post by BristolFresher15)
    Can't he spend time with you but stay at another friend's place?
    Our friend lives in a shared house.

ReputationRep:
    After she let him in April, her friends influencing her that it wasn't right to let him sleep over. I guess just convince her over & over. Thanks!
    Its ok

ReputationRep:
    Our friend lives in a shared house.
    Fair enough, why doesn't he just not drink and head back afterwards?

I mean, you could try to convince your mom, but if it doesn't work there's nothing you can do. But if you really want to see each other, a 50 mile round trip on a weekend shouldn't be that big of a deal.

(Original post by Elivercury)
    Get a hotel? Job done.

Tbh telling her you're going to stay in a hotel with him might convince her she's better off letting him crash on the sofa!
    Good point, but it's unlikely that she'll let me sleep in the hotel with him

ReputationRep:
    Good point, but it's unlikely that she'll let me sleep in the hotel with him
    When was it her choice? If she doesn't want you going then there is a simple alternative.

(Original post by BristolFresher15)
    Fair enough, why doesn't he just not drink and head back afterwards?

I mean, you could try to convince your mom, but if it doesn't work there's nothing you can do. But if you really want to see each other, a 50 mile round trip on a weekend shouldn't be that big of a deal.
    He's sensible & doesn't drink at all when he knows he's driving back if not, yeah just let him drive back & forth tnx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 8, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.