Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Want to do too much for A2 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Currently do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry AS, as well as C3 early. Ideally I'd like to continue all four to A2, as well as take M4,M5 and D1 modules, although recently after reading about S3,S4 and D2 being easy I somewhat want to do them too (would count for an extra full a level qualification). I enjoy mechanics&physics so I'm fairly certain I could do well in M4,M5, Decision modules are new to me but I'm willing to learn it, and the stats modules are apparently not even a week or two each to self teach.
    Like I said, "Ideally" I'd want to do this but it seems like a lot of work, even though I enjoy maths a lot :/
    Does anyone have experience doing 4 A2's + extra modules, and if it was too much work or whatever. The amount of overlap between A2 Maths&further maths makes me believe it shouldn't be impossible, but I'm still at AS
    -Edexcel Maths&Further Maths
    -OCR A Physics&Chemistry (New specification)
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JN17)
    Currently do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry AS, as well as C3 early. Ideally I'd like to continue all four to A2, as well as take M4,M5 and D1 modules, although recently after reading about S3,S4 and D2 being easy I somewhat want to do them too (would count for an extra full a level qualification). I enjoy mechanics&physics so I'm fairly certain I could do well in M4,M5, Decision modules are new to me but I'm willing to learn it, and the stats modules are apparently not even a week or two each to self teach.
    Like I said, "Ideally" I'd want to do this but it seems like a lot of work, even though I enjoy maths a lot :/
    Does anyone have experience doing 4 A2's + extra modules, and if it was too much work or whatever. The amount of overlap between A2 Maths&further maths makes me believe it shouldn't be impossible, but I'm still at AS
    I think it's a really really really bad idea. I'm doing 4 A2's and whilst it's manageable, it's unnecessary and I couldn't imagine doing extra modules on top. If you really want to carry on with all four, do, but don't take on any more than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JN17)
    Someone at my school does Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology at A2 level and their probably gonna get like full marks in all of them but I think you have to be a certain kind of person to manage it (ie insanely gifted and no social life). Personally I am going to come out with maths, further, physics and chemistry A2 levels but I did all of maths last year and am doing all of further this year, also the applied modules we did are S1, S2, M1, M2 D1 D2 which i think are the easiest applied modules (btw D1 and D2 are painfully easy and you could definitely self teach but probably not worth it as unis dont put a lot of significance on them). I'd definitely say its doable but I think you have to ask why you're doing it, like if its for uni, a lot of unis would probably be happy with what you're doing now anyway so might not be worth the effort.

ReputationRep:
    Same AS choices as I did, but bonkers for taking them all to A2 (only kidding), but seriously, I feel like you are the sort of person that can do it, my friend did that and we went to a sixth form so what it meant was that he only had about 1-2 free periods a week, I don't really know whether it will be necessary to take S3, S4 and D2 on top of all that work but if you think you can manage it, then go a head.
    You must surely be a Cambridge applicant and if not, then I think you should definitely apply, my friend did and that's where he is now.
    I did MEI: OCR so quick summary
    C1 and C2 fairly easy
    C3 easy, had a bit of trouble with integrating by substitution (don't know why, seems easy now), but by the exam I was fine with it
    C1 Should be okay but messed up on vectors
    S1 Just annoying really
    S2 Easy
    M1 Goes so well with Physics, Unit 2 Physics and Mechanics is nearly the same
    FP1 Content is okay and quite interesting
    D1 Okay, I found the exam to be harder coz of how they worded the questions, it confused me

Also, if it is MEI your doing, my maths teacher told me that if you get 90% on average for C3 and C4, thats an A*, regardless of your mark on S2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smartalan73)
    Someone at my school does Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology at A2 level and their probably gonna get like full marks in all of them but I think you have to be a certain kind of person to manage it (ie insanely gifted and no social life). Personally I am going to come out with maths, further, physics and chemistry A2 levels but I did all of maths last year and am doing all of further this year, also the applied modules we did are S1, S2, M1, M2 D1 D2 which i think are the easiest applied modules (btw D1 and D2 are painfully easy and you could definitely self teach but probably not worth it as unis dont put a lot of significance on them). I'd definitely say its doable but I think you have to ask why you're doing it, like if its for uni, a lot of unis would probably be happy with what you're doing now anyway so might not be worth the effort.
    That's impressive, do many people from your sixth form take on that much?
    Im taking physics, chemistry, biology and maths but most people are doing 2/3 here

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineneedles)
    That's impressive, do many people from your sixth form take on that much?
    Im taking physics, chemistry, biology and maths but most people are doing 2/3 here

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh nooooooooo, I'd say 3 a levels is probably about average for the people who are doing a levels however quite a lot of people at my school do btecs too. this guy whos taking 5 a levels is basically just a smart ass whos trying to show off and im only taking 4 because my school does all of a level maths one year and all of further the next and someone told me cambridge only made offers on a levels all sat in one year so i didnt wanna drop anything just in case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smartalan73)
    Not quite just for uni because I'd be doing them after I'd already applied and received offers etc, but I'd love to study something which involves physics&maths, possibly chemistry as well, and the skills you learn in m4,m5 (circular motion, moments of inertia etc) are things which overlap with A2 physics and are almost essential. A lot of courses now require some form of computing aspect, such as chemical engineering, where D1&D2 would help in the style of thinking. Stats is alright I guess, but everything I hear about s2,s3,s4 just says you could self teach in a week or two.
    (Original post by mikeymk)
    I do plan on applying to cambridge, unsure if I would get far because of "average" gcses(few a*, mostly b's), but I'm still gonna give it a go for a maths/science related course.
    I do edexcel unfortunately, so I've already done exams for C1,C2,FP1 and M1, have S1,M2 and C3 over the next two weeks.
    In all honesty I'm somewhat doubting chemistry as the year goes on but I'll just have to wait til results day, cautious about only doing maths, further maths &physics for A2 as some unis see them as far too similar so another subject should be taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JN17)
    Not quite just for uni because I'd be doing them after I'd already applied and received offers etc
    Why don't you study something on your own that isn't A-Level? Pick up a uni engineering textbook and learn some advanced maths instead of the A-Level bullcrap. That'd be much more beneficial to your knowledge and skills than a few extra A-Level modules.

Do note that once you are in your A2 year and have your offers, your state of mind will be very much focused on achieving those offers and you may regret heaping on extra work on yourself that isn't related to your offer and could lead to you potentially missing it.

skills you learn in m4,m5 (circular motion, moments of inertia etc) are things which overlap with A2 physics
    Lol, no...

and are almost essential.
    No.

A lot of courses now require some form of computing aspect, such as chemical engineering, where D1&D2 would help in the style of thinking.
    No.

Stats is alright I guess, but everything I hear about s2,s3,s4 just says you could self teach in a week or two.
    You sound like you want to take the modules just because they're easy to learn and not because you're interested in them. That's not an optimal idea.

I do plan on applying to cambridge, unsure if I would get far because of "average" gcses(few a*, mostly b's), but I'm still gonna give it a go for a maths/science related course.
    They don't care about your GCSE's as much as you seem to think they do.

I do edexcel unfortunately
    Not sure why you say it's unfortunate...

cautious about only doing maths, further maths &physics for A2 as some unis see them as far too similar so another subject should be taken.
    No. I'm got offers from all four of my uni's including Cambridge and I only did M, FM, Physics at AS and A2. No good uni is going to think that if you apply for a maths course. If you're applying for a physical science course, you will be disadvantged by not having chemistry.

td;ldr learn maths modules if you find them interesting and not for the sake of it, the latter M4/5 modules won't help you with A2 physics but they will be interesting, quick and easy to learn. Same goes for S2 and S3. S4... not so much. D1/2 has almost no ties to practical computing work, again, take them if you like the sound of them. It takes about 2 days to learn each of the module.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JN17)
    Not quite just for uni because I'd be doing them after I'd already applied and received offers etc, but I'd love to study something which involves physics&maths, possibly chemistry as well, and the skills you learn in m4,m5 (circular motion, moments of inertia etc) are things which overlap with A2 physics and are almost essential. A lot of courses now require some form of computing aspect, such as chemical engineering, where D1&D2 would help in the style of thinking. Stats is alright I guess, but everything I hear about s2,s3,s4 just says you could self teach in a week or two.

I do edexcel unfortunately, so I've already done exams for C1,C2,FP1 and M1, have S1,M2 and C3 over the next two weeks.
    In all honesty I'm somewhat doubting chemistry as the year goes on but I'll just have to wait til results day, cautious about only doing maths, further maths &physics for A2 as some unis see them as far too similar so another subject should be taken.
    Glad to hear, I don't know, I don't think they really go off GCSE's, its AS Levels, but they look at your individual unit grades as well as overall grade, (I think thats why I didn't get far, my FP1 mark was appalling ) Maybe over the summer read some Maths or Science books as it will look good on your UCAS form, and learn some of the A2 material if you can ahead of time.
    Good luck with your exams, didn't realise you were at the end of AS sorry, my bad
    I see what you mean, mechanics in Physics is pretty much the same as M1, but Physics has more content too (for AQA at least it has particle physics, photoelectric effect, magnetic and electric fields) so It has a lot of different content too, A2 Chemistry I would say will probably make you feel like your wasting your time revising for (shouldn't say this as I do it at uni lol) but as you are doing maths at uni, A2 Chemistry is mostly remembering mechanism, equations and definitions and has a little bit of maths, but as you'll probably want to focus on maths and physics, it may just seem like a chore to go over as it will be time consuming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I suppose a lot of that was worded badly when looking at specific points, for physics in natural sciences, circular motion&simple harmonic motion are quite large topics (also in A2 physics for us). I am very interested in mechanics and decision (the style of thinking involved) but I suppose stats is a bit of a "meh", so I'll probably make a decision on stats half way through the year or so.

I'm unsure about whether I want to go into a general "science" degree, such as natural sciences, chemical engineering, or a more specific one like maths w/ physics or just pure physics so I'm trying to keep the option of chemistry there as I'm not going to drop any of the other 3. Obviously if I were to drop chemistry I'd have a lot more time to learn the modules, probably going to have to research a lot of courses to see if chemistry at AS level alone is good enough.
    Also in normal maths we go through the course very quickly (for teaching standards), so within the first month or two of year 12 we finished the AS spec and C3, and my teacher plans to do the same for C4&S2 so majority of the year will be pretty empty for maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JN17)

Trust me D1 and D2 really dont alter your style of thinking at all, its basically a test to see if you can memorise and apply algorithms, I think their supposed to mimic the way a computer would do a problem which maybe slightly helpful if you ever wanted to program computers but definitely not essential.

Some unis do view maths and further as the same subject but thats generally only for humanities courses and i doubt thats what you wanna apply for. if you wanna do just maths at uni then dropping chemistry would be fine, if you wanted do something more sciencey then maybe it would be best to carry on all 4 to keep your options open, but doing the extra maths units really wouldnt be necessary, I'd say only do them if you're likely to actually enjoy them

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.