The Student Room Group

Retakes

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by heatherhoohoo
Hi all,
Just curious to see if anyone knows whether current Year 12 (AS students) are able to retake subjects next year?
Any information on retaking would be helpful too. Doing some research because I doubt results day will go well 😦
Thanks!

Try and be a little more optimistic; nothing can be changed now!

I'm resitting currently, but have emailed AQA and they have said that resits are possible next year, I would imagine that the same would apply for the other exam boards, cause thhey are all governed by the JCQ, which set these rules.
What 09 said. You dont know the results yet and people often do better than they think.

People who were doing the old legacy spec will have one final opportunity to resit the exam in 2017. I would suggest resits are much cheaper and sensible than settling for soemthing less than you are capable of during clearing.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
What 09 said. You dont know the results yet and people often do better than they think.

People who were doing the old legacy spec will have one final opportunity to resit the exam in 2017. I would suggest resits are much cheaper and sensible than settling for soemthing less than you are capable of during clearing.

I know that's my plan :tongue:
Thanks for your replies😄 @999tigger @09HB!! I'm taking the new specifications and my school seem to be very reluctant to talk about the topic... Maybe they just don't know? 😂
Reply 5
Thanks for your replies😄 @999tigger @09HB!! I'm taking the new specifications and my school seem to be very reluctant to talk about the topic... Maybe they just don't know? 😂

My school don't know either, I had to email the board myself!

If you are doing new spec, then ofc they will have retakes and you should be able to keep taking them as many times as you want.

Just ring the exam board, find out what the provisions are and then you can update the school.
Hi all,
Just curious to see if anyone knows whether current Year 12 (AS students) are able to retake subjects next year?
Any information on retaking would be helpful too. Doing some research because I doubt results day will go well 😦
Thanks!

Actually a very complicated question, what exactly do you mean?

Can I start again and completely retake year 12 with new subjects? Almost certainly yes but possibly not at your current school, only they can tell you.
Can I retake the year with the same subjects? More of a problem as there are issues with government funding for this. Talk to your school.
Can I continue into the the A2 year of old specification subjects and resit some/all AS unit exams to improve my UMS. Yes you can, Nothing is changed.
If I continue into year 13 of new Linear A levels, can I resit the AS exams ? Probably not, no need to as the AS result doesn't count towards your final grade and the content will be included in the full A level exams for the new Linear A levels.
I am dropping one on my Linear A levels, can I retake the AS I just completed to improve the result? Yes you can, but it's up to your school whether they will allow it, if not you may have to do it as a private candidate elsewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Yh I feel the same.
I want to retake two of my gcse' so regerdless and maybe a third if it doesn't turn out well on results day.
The exams I want to retake are in order of what I will probably get and what grade for retake.
English literature C to A
Biology-D to A
Maybe English language if I don't get a B.
So English language C to A.

Any advice on this is it possible to retake them whilst doing my a levels please help.
And will I be allowed as I did pass some of them, and what will it cost
Reply 9
Original post by harun_farah
Yh I feel the same.
I want to retake two of my gcse' so regerdless and maybe a third if it doesn't turn out well on results day.
The exams I want to retake are in order of what I will probably get and what grade for retake.
English literature C to A
Biology-D to A
Maybe English language if I don't get a B.
So English language C to A.

Any advice on this is it possible to retake them whilst doing my a levels please help.
And will I be allowed as I did pass some of them, and what will it cost

You should be allowed, that's down to the school/6th form's individual regulations. As for the cost, that depends on what subject and what board.

Sorry I can't be more help than that

H
Hi all,
Thanks!

It's entirely up to your school whether they let you re-take a subject next year or not, or whether they let you re-sit. If your school won't let you re-sit then you could pay to do it elsewhere but there will be absolutely no point re-sitting a reformed AS if you are also sitting the A level exams.
Hmmmm does anyone know if universities discriminate/look unfavourably upon candidates retaking AS exams?
Hmmmm does anyone know if universities discriminate/look unfavourably upon candidates retaking AS exams?

I doubt it- retaking to get a better grade shows that you have determination to succeed. I think the only time they'd look at it unfavorably is if you got say, an E in an exam the first time around and then got a D or an E again in the retake

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending