Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello people,

I am an International student. I am planning to apply to Oxford for Biological sciences. I have still not decided which college...

I love biology and I really enjoy it and I hope that I will contribute to the world by using sciences. For a little person from a small country it is a dream to be able study there. I hope that my dream will become true. One day I had an epiphany and I was like : I am going to give it a shot. Let's apply to Oxford.

I have a few questions. I'd be grateful if someone responded (I'd like to meet current bio students at Oxford also :d)

I am an IB student. My predicted grade will probably range from 39-40 ( the 7 being in Biology in both cases) Is that enough!?
    Will my chance of being accepted to Oxford increase by choosing a "mediocre" college. For me it does not make a difference but I've heard and talked with people and they claim that if I chose a less competitive college I'd have a greater chance to get in. Furthermore do all Oxford collages offer the same number of places for biology students?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioOx)
    Hello people,

I am an International student. I am planning to apply to Oxford for Biological sciences. I have still not decided which college...

I love biology and I really enjoy it and I hope that I will contribute to the world by using sciences. For a little person from a small country it is a dream to be able study there. I hope that my dream will become true. One day I had an epiphany and I was like : I am going to give it a shot. Let's apply to Oxford.

I have a few questions. I'd be grateful if someone responded (I'd like to meet current bio students at Oxford also :d)

I am an IB student. My predicted grade will probably range from 39-40 ( the 7 being in Biology in both cases) Is that enough!?
    Will my chance of being accepted to Oxford increase by choosing a "mediocre" college. For me it does not make a difference but I've heard and talked with people and they claim that if I chose a less competitive college I'd have a greater chance to get in. Furthermore do all Oxford collages offer the same number of places for biology students?

Thank you!
    The IB requirements for Biology are listed on the Oxford website, they ask for 39 points with 7 in a HL maths or science so sounds like you're good for that. No - if you get to interview, applicants often get interviewed at more than one college (not sure if all biological sciences students are interviewed at a second college or not but at least some are), or you could be reallocated to another college for interviews entirely. Trying to play the statistics won't help, particularly since all the conclusions people draw are from very small groups of people. You should base your college choice on what you want. Not all colleges offer biology (although most will as it's a fairly popular subject), I think 6 places per college per year is about average but it could vary a little.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.