Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello :cry2:
    I have about 2 months or so to run 1.5 miles in atleast 14 minutes. Ideally, I'd like to do it in 10. I currently lift weights and train 5 days a week, I'm 6'1 at 90KG but have never done cardio or ran in my life (not properly anyway). I tried running today and did 1.5 miles in 20 mins :cry2: I do like 200 metres then wheeze and breathe like a walrus. How do I improve my time and build up endurance?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)
    I have about 2 months or so to run 1.5 miles in atleast 14 minutes. Ideally, I'd like to do it in 10. I currently lift weights and train 5 days a week, I'm 6'1 at 90KG but have never done cardio or ran in my life (not properly anyway). I tried running today and did 1.5 miles in 20 mins :cry2: I do like 200 metres then wheeze and breathe like a walrus. How do I improve my time and build up endurance?

Thanks
    Ask a Cheetah, not us slobs.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Please don't get offended tsr people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Ask a Cheetah, not us slobs.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Please don't get offended tsr people

ReputationRep:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+run+faster

ReputationRep:
    Im not even mad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)
    Im not even mad
    Just be patient and run more often. Problem solved.
    Anyway, what's the point of all this running thingy?
    AND WHY DON'T YOU EVER DO CARDIO???

ReputationRep:
    Don't run like a fairy :indiff:
    Like, have you checked your running form & looked into how to run? Srs lol.

Try interval training, 1.5 miles is probably a stretch if you're just starting off tbh. Focus on running shorter distances faster, and then build up to 1.5m.

ReputationRep:
    I've been using an app called C25K (Couch to 5km)...it takes you from walking/jogging to be able to run 5km in 8 weeks...doesn't really work on speed but on endurance by slowly building intensity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BananaWaffle)
    Just be patient and run more often. Problem solved.
    Anyway, what's the point of all this running thingy?
    AND WHY DON'T YOU EVER DO CARDIO???
    It's for a highly secretive training programme :ninja:
    Because precious gains :cry2:

(Original post by Fiduciam)
    Don't run like a fairy :indiff:
    Like, have you checked your running form & looked into how to run? Srs lol.

Try interval training, 1.5 miles is probably a stretch if you're just starting off tbh. Focus on running shorter distances faster, and then build up to 1.5m.
    B-but I feel magical :cry2:

I think as far as form goes, I'm good, but I'll take a look at some Youtube vids or something to make sure . Though, I probably need to invest in some lighter trainers :beard:

Interval training as in mixing up the intensity during the run? So, maybe sprint for a few hundred metres, followed by a jog/ walk, rinse and repeat? :afraid:

(Original post by Biryani007)
    I've been using an app called C25K (Couch to 5km)...it takes you from walking/jogging to be able to run 5km in 8 weeks...doesn't really work on speed but on endurance by slowly building intensity.
    Just had a look at that app, it looks quite halal. It tells you when to run/ walk etc? I don't know if time wise It'll get me there though

also prsom but i repped u internally ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)
    Just had a look at that app, it looks quite halal. It tells you when to run/ walk etc? I don't know if time wise It'll get me there though

also prsom but i repped u internally ok
    Ofc it's halal, I use it after all :haughty:
    You can start on week 4 if your level of fitness permits you to...you aint gotta start with jogging if you can do much more than that..
    Are you going to be taking part in a run?

That last line - :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)
    B-but I feel magical :cry2:

I think as far as form goes, I'm good, but I'll take a look at some Youtube vids or something to make sure . Though, I probably need to invest in some lighter trainers :beard:

Interval training as in mixing up the intensity during the run? So, maybe sprint for a few hundred metres, followed by a jog/ walk, rinse and repeat? :afraid:
    Yeah, sprint in bursts for X distance, stop and have a jog/casual walk to catch your breath, then pick it up again. Keep repeating. As time goes by, decrease your recovery time and increase the time you spend sprinting.

Keep doing the long run to check your time and see if it's improving (which naturally, it will), still think you should focus on a shorter distance to begin with though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biryani007)
    Ofc it's halal, I use it after all :haughty:
    You can start on week 4 if your level of fitness permits you to...you aint gotta start with jogging if you can do much more than that..
    Are you going to be taking part in a run?

That last line - :afraid:
    Thanks Biri I'll check it out

And no I'm tryna lose weight so you'll accept me :cry2:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yeah it's for a run, remember what my plan B was should life fail? It's for that :shh:
    Don't worry about the last line, it's fully halal, I wouldn't lead you astray during this month :woo:

(Original post by Fiduciam)
    Yeah, sprint in bursts for X distance, stop and have a jog/casual walk to catch your breath, then pick it up again. Keep repeating. As time goes by, decrease your recovery time and increase the time you spend sprinting.

Keep doing the long run to check your time and see if it's improving (which naturally, it will), still think you should focus on a shorter distance to begin with though.
    Thanks man! I'll do this tomorrow! Appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    to be honest if you can get round 1.5 miles now you'll easily be able to do it in 14 minutes in 2 months, 14 minute is not a particularly difficult time to achieve, you'd probably get closer to 10. Just keep running 3-4 days a week and you'll improve quickly once your cardio system starts to catch up. Once you can try and increase your distance, it will be easier to run 1.5 miles faster if it's not the limit of your endurance, also you could try and do some more intense training (sprints, fartlek etc) if you're struggling to up the pace as those will increase your strength.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)

Thanks
    You shouldn't push yourself to run that fast and that distance right now/

1) Wear correct gear and running shoes to avoid injuries (such as shin splint). Ensure that you stretch before and after running.

2) Correct running form (a guide here).

3) You should start developing a breathing rhythm (a whole article on how to here). Those that are new to running usually never think about this and end up running out of breath far quicker than they expect to.

4) Run a short distance, then take a break and run again. As you get used to it, start building up the intensity and running faster. Then when you feel you've gotten a bit better, increase the distance you run for. Make sure you don't try to rush it, as otherwise that would just lead to an injury.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.