Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone completed their degree at the OU studying full time so in 3 years? How did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I've just completed my first year, full time.
    So far its been ok, you just need to plan ahead and discipline yourself to put the extra time in.
    Neil

ReputationRep:
    The workload during the course is not the problem, if you are not in work (and assuming you don't have too many other responsibilities). I just did a 30-point level 3 module, and worked maybe three hours a week on it. The hard part is doing 120 points worth of exams in one go. That's a lot of revision. In the two weeks before the exam I revised at least six hours every day, just for a 30-point unit. So you'd need to start revising early, or perhaps adopt the approach of constant exam-focused revision throughout the course.

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished my first year of full time study with the OU. I work full time and also have a son. To be honest I didn't find it that difficult, I think there was one period when I felt stressed as I had 2 assignments and the end of year assessment in the space of about 3 weeks. I think as long as you are organised and push yourself a little, its doable.

ReputationRep:
    Second- and especially third-year courses are a different ballgame, though. Much, much harder than Level 1, which is more to bring everyone up to speed.

ReputationRep:
    I done the first year and second year full time and 90 credits level 3 in another year. It was BSc Natural Science Physics.

First year was a cakewalk alongside a full time job.
    Second year I wished I completed over 2 years (full time job again)
    Third year was a real struggle (31 hour per week job)

Happy to answer more specific questions

ReputationRep:
    How are you all finding your grades with the OU?

ReputationRep:
    Just hopping on board for the replies. I've enrolled to do 120 credits in my first year to test the waters as I work 2 jobs to a total of 30-35 hours a week. My theory being that first year results don't count towards the degree so best to try it out this year and maybe second, all being well.

ReputationRep:
    With working full time how are you able to do exams? I work Monday to Friday 9-5 and concerned as I've heard exams are held in local colleges etc but is it days that suit you? Weekends? or will you need a day off during the week if you work full time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _ejbryan)
    With working full time how are you able to do exams? I work Monday to Friday 9-5 and concerned as I've heard exams are held in local colleges etc but is it days that suit you? Weekends? or will you need a day off during the week if you work full time.
    You'll need a day off work. All exams are weekdays, you have no say in what day/date the exams are those are set by the OU but they will tell you months in advance what day it is so you have plenty of time to book time off work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkle2)
    You'll need a day off work. All exams are weekdays, you have no say in what day/date the exams are those are set by the OU but they will tell you months in advance what day it is so you have plenty of time to book time off work.
    I've already told my bosses that I'm studying with the OU and there will be tutorials/exams to attend. I know tutorials aren't mandatory but I haven't let my bosses in on this fact as I'm classing them as a priority.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.