Further maths too hard ?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
TMUA discussion - please read before posting 09-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in the final stages of my gcse examintions. I am going sixth form to do maths, further maths, economics and sociology. After sixth form my plan is to go to uni to study something maths/ economics related and it will most likely be the financial mathematics course. I am really good in maths especially algebra and should be getting at least an A in my exams. However from what i read further maths is suppose be very difficult at A2 therefore i dont know what i should drop for year 13 considering my carrer path . I really dont know what to do and i am really unsure. I feel like i really shouldnt be dropping further maths but i do not want to put too much pressure on myself.

ReputationRep:
    If you really end up doing financial maths then further maths should be a joke in comparison to more advanced things at university. If you can't handle it then I suggest reconsidering your plans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassassin04)
    If you really end up doing financial maths then further maths should be a joke in comparison to more advanced things at university. If you can't handle it then I suggest reconsidering your plans.
    Maths is definitely my strongest subject and i think i am being panicked by people when i havent even tried it yet. But if not further maths what do you suggest i should drop at the end of yr 12? What would be more beneficial economics or sociology

ReputationRep:
    Even if it is really hard, the way you work through things gradually with maths means you'll get it eventually. Plus its easy to revise for, you just do past papers. If you're good at maths and putting effort in then you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Why are you planning so far ahead? Just go into next year with an open mind and make your own judgments. If it is too hard for you and you know this by the end of year 12, then drop it. Don't be pre-decided.

ReputationRep:
    For me further maths felt like more maths rather than harder maths, ( compared to normal a level maths) I guess I'm only in AS though but have heard similar things from people in the year above, if you're good at maths don't be afraid of further maths. Also if you want to drop a subject, imo drop sociology

ReputationRep:
    Most sixth forms (well the good ones) expect an A* at GCSE so if you arent confident in achieving that then Further Maths may not be for you. At the end of the day if you feel confident in doing it and maths is something you're looking to do then by all means take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mat19i99)
    Maths is definitely my strongest subject and i think i am being panicked by people when i havent even tried it yet. But if not further maths what do you suggest i should drop at the end of yr 12? What would be more beneficial economics or sociology
    You have to try to know but so far sounds good if it is your strongest then I assume you don't "hate it."
    I would drop sociology for sure but of course It is just me and during my A levels I did exactly that- dropped sociology that I hated after AS. But if you enjoy it then it is not the end of the world to drop economics- it is not really needed for the degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iMacJack)
    Why are you planning so far ahead? Just go into next year with an open mind and make your own judgments. If it is too hard for you and you know this by the end of year 12, then drop it. Don't be pre-decided.
    I know i am thinking ahead but i guess i am just panicking as my maths exam is tomorrow just everythi g hitting my head like mad atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mat19i99)
    I know i am thinking ahead but i guess i am just panicking as my maths exam is tomorrow just everythi g hitting my head like mad atm
    Focus on the easy GCSE maths first

ReputationRep:
    everything's hard until you do it

ReputationRep:
    It's all based on the modules you pick. Cores are fine. Decision are lovely especially D1. Statistics are ok. Mechanics are painful. FP1, 2 and 3 can be easily dealt with if you know your stuff.
    These are the exams i have done already (S1 and D1 are next week): (easiest-hardest)

C1
    C2
    FP1
    M1

ReputationRep:
    It's all down to what you want. Of course some parts of Further Maths are harder than regular but over a year of studying it you'll be fine, it's just a bunch of new ideas and applying them. Everyone has their own preferences, like I hated stats in my first year but loved mechanics so I'm doing M2 and M3 this year with no stats.

ReputationRep:
    why are you chatting about whether its too hard you muppet just see wagwan in year 12

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.