The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Underground dance scene?

Hiya!

I can certainly see that nearly every club in Sheffield has an indie focus and whilst I love that stuff, I was wondering if there were many non-chart / non-cheesy electronic music nights on in the city? I would love a taste of what I've experienced at fabric and clubs in Berlin!
Reply 1
it doesn't have a huge underground scene nothing like Berlin but I think there's a few alternative bars and CORPORATION does alternative nights although it's a bit of a dump in my opinion haha.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Sheffield definitely does have an amazing underground dance scene, even starting with the student union, we have the internationally renowned tuesday club who've had so many amazing underground artists every week, Jamie xx, Ivy club, shadow child, bondax, the list goes on. If you're into drum and bass they also host hospitality twice a year.

Then hope works and night kitchen are both really cool venues set in the more industrial part of the city and they offer all the house and techno.

Tank is an underground (literally) club open 11-7am playing house type music.

Arch9 and Yellow arch studio is another venue that's little known about to students if you're not in the scene.

Theres a lot of underground pop up club nights as well in some of sheffields steal foundries and the abandoned Woolworths.

Every couple of years there's also peace in the park, a free festival (originally started as a protest of invading Iraq) with the biggest bass system you've seen in a while, followed by the illusive peace in the dark rave.

Basically I think Sheffield is an awesome place for underground dance music, and it only gets bigger and better the further you get into the scene.
Reply 3
Thanks so much for that mate, I got the grades so I've bought my TTC season ticket and can't wait to check out those other places. I'm just wondering now how easy it will be to meet like-minded others and get into the scene!

Original post by Josephxtian
Sheffield definitely does have an amazing underground dance scene, even starting with the student union, we have the internationally renowned tuesday club who've had so many amazing underground artists every week, Jamie xx, Ivy club, shadow child, bondax, the list goes on. If you're into drum and bass they also host hospitality twice a year.

Then hope works and night kitchen are both really cool venues set in the more industrial part of the city and they offer all the house and techno.

Tank is an underground (literally) club open 11-7am playing house type music.

Arch9 and Yellow arch studio is another venue that's little known about to students if you're not in the scene.

Theres a lot of underground pop up club nights as well in some of sheffields steal foundries and the abandoned Woolworths.

Every couple of years there's also peace in the park, a free festival (originally started as a protest of invading Iraq) with the biggest bass system you've seen in a while, followed by the illusive peace in the dark rave.

Basically I think Sheffield is an awesome place for underground dance music, and it only gets bigger and better the further you get into the scene.
Reply 4
Thanks dude, I'll be sure to check those out!

Original post by TozRedz
Highly recommend both Hope Works and The Night Kitchen. Really cool venues with an underground vibe and a focus on house and tech. Bit pricey though, usually looking at £10+ for ticketed events.
Tuesday Club at the union is usually pretty good. You've also got Tank, which is a bit more mainstream-y but decent enough (and cheap on mondays). There's also a house club called Arch 9 but I know literally nothing about it.

Quick Reply