Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going to do an economics related EPQ this summer and I want to do it on the 2008 credit crisis, has anyone done this before? And can you think of any specific areas I could focus on that would be interesting?

Thanks a lot for help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Joiner)
    Hi, I'm going to do an economics related EPQ this summer and I want to do it on the 2008 credit crisis, has anyone done this before? And can you think of any specific areas I could focus on that would be interesting?

Thanks a lot for help

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Make reference to how the whole situation snowballed from banks lending out credit to people who couldn't pay it back leading to banks going bust which meant they borrowed less from each other due to decreased confidence which lead to a run on the banks which worsened the situation. Comment on the firms that had to be bailed out by the bank of England and/ or nationalised such as Northern Rock and how this affected aggregate demand leading to a greater recession.

ReputationRep:
    The topic is way to common. I wouldnt recommend doing it because everybody I know is doing it. Tough competition and overdone with little chance of getting an A or A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadow Warrior)
    The topic is way to common. I wouldnt recommend doing it because everybody I know is doing it. Tough competition and overdone with little chance of getting an A or A*
    'Everybody' you know is doing it? I find it hard to believe that. In my entire EPQ class of 30 not a single person even did an economics based EPQ, let alone one on the subject specifically.

ReputationRep:
    i would bring in some politics, look at the regulations or rather the lack of regulations that led to the collapse of huge banks and allowed this happened. Look not just at the consequence and build up but the way it was dealt with, I hope you give Gordon Brown a thumbs up on all three of those.

But whats important to remember is that the Financial crisis was not just a cycle of boom and bust, it was not just a matter of lack of regulations but it was a matter of a change in the wind, a change in global forces. In globalization we have so many strings that one crisis creates an almost infinite loop (e.g china's excess demand for oil) and a disaster was inevitable, although it was a devastating event do remember it could've been entirely worse which is something you could also look into. When I look at EPQ's and hear people my age talk of the financial crisis they don't seem to appreciate its huge complexity but rather try to fit it into economic models.. don't do that. The financial crisis should be its own model, yes the theory of other models can fit its story and explain chunks of it but its so much more than a failure of capitalism or a failure of bank lending

**Personally i think you should go for Black Wednesday or something in the 90's, that can also link to the recession but its much more unique and in my view it's significance is undermined today... theres also a huge amount of stuff between the UK and europe that happened during the 90's such as the European Exchange Rate Mechanism

ReputationRep:
    I feel like you're chatting ****

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasingstokeBoy)
    'Everybody' you know is doing it? I find it hard to believe that. In my entire EPQ class of 30 not a single person even did an economics based EPQ, let alone one on the subject specifically.
    In my econ class (about 25 people) There are 7 people doing an Economics EPQ. 6 of them are doing it on the 2008 crisis. It may be different for u. Just saying.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like you're chatting ****

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It has been 8 years since the crash. People have looked at it from a soical, economic and policital way. There are people who aced theres. IM not saying it's a bad topic to do content wise, but t make yourself stand out it would be better to look at something like the silk road or the lorenz curve or something else. EU brexit is a good thing

ReputationRep:
    It has been 8 years since the crash. People have looked at it from a soical, economic and policital way. There are people who aced theres. IM not saying it's a bad topic to do content wise, but t make yourself stand out it would be better to look at something like the silk road or the lorenz curve or something else. EU brexit is a good thing
    Well in my economics class 4 are doing EPQ and I'm the only one doing the 2008 crash so..

Yeah thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BinaryJava)
    Make reference to how the whole situation snowballed from banks lending out credit to people who couldn't pay it back leading to banks going bust which meant they borrowed less from each other due to decreased confidence which lead to a run on the banks which worsened the situation. Comment on the firms that had to be bailed out by the bank of England and/ or nationalised such as Northern Rock and how this affected aggregate demand leading to a greater recession.
    You could explain on different areas regarding your topic. Areas such as the sub-prime borrowers, banks and other financial institutions. Try to explain how these were affected and what impact did their effect have on UK's economy.

ReputationRep:
    Well in my economics class 4 are doing EPQ and I'm the only one doing the 2008 crash so..

Yeah thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well gl and every school/college is different. It is a good topic nevertheless just try to stand out like talking about the social and political parts of it. (Briefly)

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in doing an Economics EPQ too. Which topics would be best to look into?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.