Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Now I've finished uni I want to write a story I've been trying to write since I was 16! I have never finished it and I feel that since so much time has passed and I've wrote the first 1/3 a thousand times, I feel bored and disconnected from the story.
    However, this is the only story I want to write and I feel that once I have a complete draft, no matter how terrible it is, I can start editing it and fixing it to be readable and good.

Does anyone have any tips or experiences with staying motivated?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    why not write the last 1/3 next.... then join up

ReputationRep:
    i have written one book which took me about 18 months to finish and i'm working on another unrelated book which so far has taken 10 months and i'm at chapter 3 of 15 but i found i would cut my self off just before i was going to write something great just make a small note somewhere and go back straight in to the thick of it

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I feel you!
    My recommendation would be to do some serious outlining; boil down down the core of your story into something that gives you the bones but then still allows lots of improvisation for when you're actually writing the chapters, and that way the process can still be rich with creativity but you still have a guiding direction.

Also, I don't think anything can be quite as powerful as mapping out a really solid character arc for all of your main characters, i.e. ensuring that fundamentally each of them have an established motivation of wanting something. Once you have established a clear motive, then you have stakes and tension, and every scene and chapter can then be used to increase both the internal and external conflict of threatening the thing that your character wants or holds onto so dearly.

If you feel bored then the likelihood is that the arc of your characters is not as powerful as it could be. To be reductive, start every major character at Emotional point A. Traditionally this is where the flaws of the protagonist hero are very apparent to the reader but NOT to the character him/herself. Emotional point B is the end of the character arc, and usually the end of the book, where the lead protagonist has overcome their personal flaw and transformed. The distance between Emotional point A and Emotional point B is the story, and every chapter and action beat should offer the character to opportunity to overcome their flaw.

Early on, the lead character will fail because they're not even aware of their flaw, then later when they do, they will still resist, until eventually the stakes of the internal and external conflict will rise into a breaking point. Here the realisation is that an internal process has to transform to allow the external goal/motivation that the character has wanted from page 1.

I think what I'm trying to say [in a very non-concise way, lol], is that if you create a really strong character arc then you'll never get bored, and it really helps alleviate writer's block or cliched moments, because you can use it at every juncture, and create really eloquent conflicts between your characters.

Feel free to PM me on this, I'm a total nerd for the craft of storytelling..

ReputationRep:
    Do things - don't separate from real life. Read read read. Find your own voice. keep your journal. Scrap book - stick in tickets, cards, anything that has memorable associations. If you are really invested in the characters can you flip some aspect - to make them 3 dimensional. Eg. if they are really negative give them a positive trait - something unexpected.
    You could let it sit and throw any ideas you find in a box, then go through these in a casual way. Watch Ray Bradbury on Creativity on you tube.

ReputationRep:
    TIP: maturabate into a test tube. Drink your mixture to gain nowledge!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurenbb30)
    Now I've finished uni I want to write a story I've been trying to write since I was 16! I have never finished it and I feel that since so much time has passed and I've wrote the first 1/3 a thousand times, I feel bored and disconnected from the story.
    However, this is the only story I want to write and I feel that once I have a complete draft, no matter how terrible it is, I can start editing it and fixing it to be readable and good.

Does anyone have any tips or experiences with staying motivated?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe you could change the beginning a little bit, or just keep what you've already written?

I find that engaging with my characters make it much easier to stay motivated. Get to know and love your characters and with luck, you'll end up writing in order to spend time with them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.