The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE 2017 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Does the 4 week email show that you have a good chance of getting in or are offers given at the end of the 8 week period as well?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
If I accept my offer fr masters but then change my mind, is there any financial penalty?
Original post by RehanJak98
Does the 4 week email show that you have a good chance of getting in or are offers given at the end of the 8 week period as well?

I don't really think it makes much of a difference at this point tbh :/
Original post by Brownie4life
Wow that is amazing! Congrats! Do you mind telling me your predicteds and subject combination?

Thanks! I study Maths, Economics and Accounting and am predicted AAA.
Good luck with your application 🍀
Original post by rolaah
They specifically mention on their website that such a combination would negatively impact your application. I would only drop physics if you knew you wouldn't get an A in it, otherwise keep it

Hiya, I just checked the LSE entry requirements site.
In the Economics one(http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/DepartmentalAdmissionsCriteria2017/economics.aspx), it says 'Please note, however, that Further Maths, if taken as a full A level, is generally seen as an 'additional' or fourth subject, rather than a substitute for one of your three main subjects. '
However, for Mathematics which I'm applying for, it doesn't say(http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/DepartmentalAdmissionsCriteria2017/mathematics.aspx) anything about FM as a fourth subject.
Offers so far:
Warwick- Economics
KCL- Mathematics with Management & Finance
UCL- Mathematics with Economics

All that's left now is
UCL- Economics with a Year Abroad (Hopefully I get to go to UofChicago, UPenn, or Columbia :biggrin: :biggrin: )
LSE- Mathematics with Economics (my main choice)
Original post by SeanDaMan
Hiya, I just checked the LSE entry requirements site.
In the Economics one(http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/DepartmentalAdmissionsCriteria2017/economics.aspx), it says 'Please note, however, that Further Maths, if taken as a full A level, is generally seen as an 'additional' or fourth subject, rather than a substitute for one of your three main subjects. '
However, for Mathematics which I'm applying for, it doesn't say(http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/DepartmentalAdmissionsCriteria2017/mathematics.aspx) anything about FM as a fourth subject.

I just saw this:

Some degree programmes at the school are highly mathematical in content and therefore Maths A level or equivalent is a requirement. A number of programmes also require a qualification in Further Mathematics (where available), or consider one helpful. However, the combination of Maths, Further Maths plus one other subject is considered insufficiently broad for many of our programmes.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/lseEntryRequirements.aspx#InformationforapplicantsstudyingforASAlevels
Original post by IDKY
I beg to differ - the candidates that are waiting are probably a very strong, but there must obviously be a reason for why we haven't heard back yet (and the reason can't possibly be for the selectors' amusement)... So, no news is only good news if you actually get in - the chances that you'll be rejected are probably just as enormous as when we just applied...

I don't think that the candidates who are still waiting (we) are deemed very strong. In fact, I think we are merely borderline applicants, which means our chances are 50:50 at this stage. Not sure if they are only giving offers to us when they can't find any late applicants better than us, or they may just choose the best from the pool of held applicants. :frown:
Original post by Heheboy
I don't think that the candidates who are still waiting (we) are deemed very strong. In fact, I think we are merely borderline applicants, which means our chances are 50:50 at this stage. Not sure if they are only giving offers to us when they can't find any late applicants better than us, or they may just choose the best from the pool of held applicants. :frown:

Come on now - stay positive!

We're all clearly strong enough that we haven't been immediately rejected, but not quite strong enough to get an outright offer.

And there's also a lot of variation between courses.
Original post by LeapingLucy
Come on now - stay positive!

We're all clearly strong enough that we haven't been immediately rejected, but not quite strong enough to get an outright offer.

And there's also a lot of variation between courses.

Thanks for the encouragement! But I've been waiting since September :frown: And mind explaining what is meant by 'a lot of variation between the courses' ?
Original post by Heheboy
Thanks for the encouragement! But I've been waiting since September :frown: And mind explaining what is meant by 'a lot of variation between the courses' ?

I just mean that for some courses there seem to have been loads of offers - like BSc economics and BSc International Relations - but for other courses, like anthropology say, there have been fewer offers, so maybe they're holding back most of the applications for longer before reaching a decision.

I've been waiting since October 5th :-(
Getting the 4 week email is sort of like pooling applicants so they can compare them with other strong applicants. However, if someone gets an offer in late March, that doesn't mean they were weaker than someone who got an offer in February. It is not like they will keep on reviewing each application over and over to compare them... Not sure why some of you guys are feeling sad. Last year me and others were happy to reach to this stage. Obviously we were stressed, tired of waiting and also scared that all this wait might end up with a rejection, however, we knew we were competitive enough to reach to this stage.

So appreciate the situation you are in. Waiting knowing that you might have a chance is better than getting rejected at this point. Be patient. :smile:

There will be lots of updates from LSE applicants on TheStudentRoom in the remaining few weeks.
Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
I just mean that for some courses there seem to have been loads of offers - like BSc economics and BSc International Relations - but for other courses, like anthropology say, there have been fewer offers, so maybe they're holding back most of the applications for longer before reaching a decision.

For courses like economics the intake is higher. They take 221 undergrads whereas for anthropology they only take around 47 people. So it is expected that fewer people will be receiving offers for anthropology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by DeepFriedDragon
For courses like economics the intake is higher. They take 221 undergrads whereas for anthropology they only take around 47 people. So it is expected that fewer people will be receiving offers for anthropology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's true.
Original post by matthewchen
Hi, may I ask when did you apply and when did u get the 8 week mail?
Same acc&fin applicant as u
Thank you !

I applied mostly around 28th of November and got my 8 week email on 19th December.
Are you sitting on an 8-week email yet?
Original post by Brownie4life
Wow that's amazing! I applied for A&F too and got my 4 week email today. Does that mean my chances are any higher? Did you end up getting a 4/2 week email too?

After my 4 weeks ended I didn't receive another email. They just sent the offer the following week. Wishing you best of luck!! Fingers crossed :wink:

yeah exactly, courses with fewer applicants they probably want to compare them all in a pool together. i've seen one person with an offer from the course i applied to
Original post by Lauren1498x
yeah exactly, courses with fewer applicants they probably want to compare them all in a pool together. i've seen one person with an offer from the course i applied to

Me too - you're government and history, right? - and it was a person who already had their A-levels.
Me too - you're government and history, right? - and it was a person who already had their A-levels.

yeah exactly, i'm not worrying yet!
I already have my a levels plus am doing further maths as an add. A level. I've seen lots of people with a levels done given an offer but I still don't have one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending