Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished my first year of IB, currently I take HL Chem, HL Physics, HL Math, SL History, SL English and Ab Initio Spanish.

My term results show 4's for my SL subjects, 3's for Chem and Physics and a 1 for Math. I have every intention of dropping HL Math and to SL Math and do HL History since I feel much more comfortable with the subject.

My parents think they need to switch me out into a-levels and I am incredibly weary of the change and I personally do not want to switch out of it.

I don't think I'm a terrible student but HL Math had been dragging me down way to many times and this result has been the worst in the year. (Added to that are some personal issues on my end but that is still unrelated to the question.)

Personally I want to continue the IB as I have realized much more of myself and my capabilities and I do have the wish in broadening my horizons as I know IB will allow me to do so. Another point is that I haven't even decided on a career path and as I seem to read A-levels is more suited to those who already have a path in mind.

I am in a mess as of now and I realize I will probably have some grammar mistakes in this thread but I really want to know what others opinions are who don't know me personally. Should I really follow what my parents ask me to do? Or should I fight for my position here in the IB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleless)
    I have just finished my first year of IB, currently I take HL Chem, HL Physics, HL Math, SL History, SL English and Ab Initio Spanish.

My term results show 4's for my SL subjects, 3's for Chem and Physics and a 1 for Math. I have every intention of dropping HL Math and to SL Math and do HL History since I feel much more comfortable with the subject.

My parents think they need to switch me out into a-levels and I am incredibly weary of the change and I personally do not want to switch out of it.

I don't think I'm a terrible student but HL Math had been dragging me down way to many times and this result has been the worst in the year. (Added to that are some personal issues on my end but that is still unrelated to the question.)

Personally I want to continue the IB as I have realized much more of myself and my capabilities and I do have the wish in broadening my horizons as I know IB will allow me to do so. Another point is that I haven't even decided on a career path and as I seem to read A-levels is more suited to those who already have a path in mind.

I am in a mess as of now and I realize I will probably have some grammar mistakes in this thread but I really want to know what others opinions are who don't know me personally. Should I really follow what my parents ask me to do? Or should I fight for my position here in the IB?
    I think you should do what you want to do, but that you should be realistic about it and really decide if you stay in IB to commit yourself to your studies and enjoy the program. You've said yourself that you want to stay in IB, but you're probably worried because you're not passing at the moment. The first year can be hard in the program. At the end of my first year my grades were a lot lower than my MYP marks, but I got them up to high predicteds in the end.

If you don't really have a career path, I would definitely recommend the IB - that's a big reason why I did it. It forces you to keep your subject choices broad, and with the A level you pretty much need to know what course you will do at uni to pick your courses which is way too much pressure imo!

You are taking what I consider to be some crazy highers - 2 sciences at higher would have killed me, and I consider anyone who takes on HL maths to be a god of some kind. If you are allowed to switch out your subjects after this year, then I would say do it - go down to SL maths (which is still a challenging and respected course) and if you enjoy history, go up to HL! The problem with IB is that it is only two years, so switching your classes around now might put you in a worse position because the classes have already been through half their material. I think you should speak to your IB coordinator, and if they allow you to do it, commit to it and do some work over the summer.

You have to stay true to yourself. Your parents are probably worried because right now you're failing the IB, but it sounds like the IB is more suited to your needs than A levels because you're unsure of what you want to do in the future, and more importantly, that you're enjoying it. I think that you have to decide what you want to do, and if you want to do the IB, determine if it's realistic for you to pass, and then really knuckle down and do it, and prove your parents wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleless)

Even I used to do IB but switched to Alevels last year. I enjoyed IB and I took HL bio (6) HL English language (7) SL math (6), SL buisness management (7) and SL chemistry (6). Since Jan I've been doing alevel. People say that IB is though and I agree because we have to do a lot of work but theory wise you learn the same thing in Alevels. The good thing about IB is that it makes you explore more like through CAS and TOK none of which is available in alevel. I believe that IB would make u a mor intellectual person.
    Alevels on the other hand is easier ( u can get more hours of sleep with Alevels ) and the work load is much much smaller.
    IB is known for its high standard by the universities because depending on ur grades they look at you as an all rounder who's ready for the work load in university.

I think you should work harder, revise more. I advice that you do what you think is right. I'm not saying that u should disobey ur parents in any way but what I am saying is that it's all about what you want. Do some more research and find out, try some alevel past papers or read some alevel text books and if u realize that it's easier and u can easily pass, then y stay in IB and fail?

IB is great and I personally wish I was doing IB and not Alevels ( but u don't always get what u wish for). I enjoyed IB even though it was a lot of work, it changed me intellectually!

(The hardest is to convert from Alevels to IB but vise versa it's not)

Stop for a minute and think. Follow your heart mate and I wish you the best of luck despite what ever exam board u choose.

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is it still possible to get into top universities if you redo year 12 but switch from IB to Alevels? Since i dont think it is considered as a retake

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.