Makelele: one of the most misunderstood players ever.

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    The media popularized the term the "Makelele role" to describe a role in which a deep lying central midfielder is more defensive in nature, breaking up play and doing the dirty work. It really suggests a one dimensional type of player, a player that just sits and cleans up. Even Zidane's description of Makelele leaving Real didn't really get to the heart of just how good he was: "Why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the entire engine?".

The Makelele I remembered had a keen eye for a long pass, he could navigate past 2 players in tight spaces and play killer through balls. The idea that he could only play sideways and backwards passes was ridiculous, I believe it was Perez that said that ... lol. He was very technical but it was his defensive side which was often lauded in very attacking sides.

ReputationRep:
    It's no coincidence that his departure led to the fall of Madrid and rise of Chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    That is an absolutely brilliant quote, can't believe I haven't heard that one before.

ReputationRep:
    You can tell Zidane realises this, which is why he has been using Casemiro.

Makalele was considered as a deep lying playmaker for Chelsea according to José Mourinho rather than a typical anchorman.

ReputationRep:
    It is known as Makelele role because he's probably the best at doing this role, honestly can't think of anyone better. Yes he was good at pushing forward and finding passes, but he was as good at this as he was at the defensive duties, and his passing is not as good as say Iniesta, Pirlo etc. Even a player like Wilshire, who despite his injuries, and lack of quality is pretty much everything else, has better passing than him. Makelele is an excellent player but just as Ronaldo isn't going to be known for his assisting because although he is good at assisting, and gets a good amount of assists a season, other things overshadow it and therefore is known for it much more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    You can tell Zidane realises this, which is why he has been using Casemiro.
    This.

It's a shame Benitez was sacked - because he was fielding a team he didn't believe in.

ReputationRep:
    He's a wannabe TFM

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what you mean, but it is generally seen that a 6 has to be good at moving the ball forward.

That is why Schweinsteiger was supreme. That is why Gündogan in my opinion would be one of the best at this role if his career weren't injury stricken.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree, Makelele is misunderstood for a player like Mikel who probably suits the definition better (Le Saux said last season he may as well have parking sensors because he plays so deep). As a Liverpool fan I remember Sissoko being great at winning the ball back but literally not knowing what to do with the ball afterwards, and in there lies the difference between an anchorman (what Makelele is associated as) and a deep lying midfielder (what Makelele should be associated as).

ReputationRep:
    Makelele? I had to google him. One word come to mind
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ancient

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.Carnell)
    The media popularized the term the "Makelele role" to describe a role in which a deep lying central midfielder is more defensive in nature, breaking up play and doing the dirty work. It really suggests a one dimensional type of player, a player that just sits and cleans up. Even Zidane's description of Makelele leaving Real didn't really get to the heart of just how good he was: "Why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the entire engine?".

The Makelele I remembered had a keen eye for a long pass, he could navigate past 2 players in tight spaces and play killer through balls. The idea that he could only play sideways and backwards passes was ridiculous, I believe it was Perez that said that ... lol. He was very technical but it was his defensive side which was often lauded in very attacking sides.
    Pretty sure his accent is why so many people misunderstood him........

I'll leave now :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    A lot like Sergio Busquets I would say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    Not sure what you mean, but it is generally seen that a 6 has to be good at moving the ball forward.

That is why Schweinsteiger was supreme. That is why Gündogan in my opinion would be one of the best at this role if his career weren't injury stricken.
    Schweinsteiger was at his best as a box to box player though.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Football articles
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.