Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm 19 years old and moving to the UK (Manchester) in September for Uni, I was going to get my license over here in Singapore however there are long waiting lists and the whole process could easily take over 6 months for me. So I am planning on getting my license during my first year of Uni (hopefully so i can get a car by 2nd year) and was wandering if anyone could shed some light on the procedure and time frame of the process in the UK

I've also heard that there is an intensive course where you can get everything done in 5 weeks, is this true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LGoncalves)
    Hi guys,

I'm 19 years old and moving to the UK (Manchester) in September for Uni, I was going to get my license over here in Singapore however there are long waiting lists and the whole process could easily take over 6 months for me. So I am planning on getting my license during my first year of Uni (hopefully so i can get a car by 2nd year) and was wandering if anyone could shed some light on the procedure and time frame of the process in the UK

I've also heard that there is an intensive course where you can get everything done in 5 weeks, is this true?
    I think that'd be a bit of a stretch. Typically it takes 6 months, as you have to have lessons, then pass your theory test before you can take and pass your practical test. However, I'm sure that with a lot of effort and practice, you could do it quicker.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Getting a licence will not be a problem. You can do intensive courses that teach you to drive in a week with a test at the end.

http://www.oneweekintensivedriving.com/

Your problem will be getting insured. I'm a British citizen, but because I'd been living overseas outside of the EU, I was classed as a foreign driver with 0 NCB and a UK licence for less than a month, so my insurance quotes were all around £15-25,000 a year. Once you've lived in the UK for a longer time (I think it's 2 years but I'm not sure), you won't be classed a foreign driver anymore, and you'll have held your UK licence for longer. Now my insurance is around £1000 a year which is pretty standard for a 21 year old with a car with a fairly big engine.

DVSA tests are a nightmare. They can have very long waiting times, and sometimes people's tests get cancelled and rescheduled even later (as you'll probably have realised if you just read down a couple of pages of the motoring forum).

ReputationRep:
    Only for a very, very small number of people who are lucky enough to find themselves in a very fortunate set of circumstances.

The rest of us have to contend with high waiting times for tests, substandard instruction and insufficient time spent gaining road experience meaning that your driving standard might not be high enough to pass the test at the first attempt.

ReputationRep:
    for a uk licence application don't you need proof of being a uk citizen he says he coming from Singapore for university so he wouldn't have the required paper work we all have to send for a licence eg birth certificate passport proof of citizenship so on and so on would he or am I just thick here are the requirement set by DVLA for applications for uk licences
    ##be a resident of Great Britain - there’s a different service in Northern Ireland
    ##meet the minimum age requirement
    ##meet the minimum eyesight requirement
    ##not be prevented from driving for any reason
    ##pay £34 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card
    ##have a valid UK passport or other form of identity
    ##have your National Insurance number if known
    ##provide addresses where you’ve lived over the last 3 years
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Hi guys,

Most students do not need a car at university.

And first years in halls of residence do not have guaranteed parking anyway.

http://www.accommodation.manchester....erinformation/

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.