Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When I was young, I didn't take good care of my teeth at all; a few fair years back I had either a filling or crown (not too sure on terms) applied to my top incisor and during the application my teeth were drilled down. However now the applied treatment has completely broken off on one side and I'm left with a very notice-able hole.
    I'm way past the age of free treatment but still in higher education; however my finances are far from promising and sparing the ""up to £25X.XX" is looking very difficult. My self confidence was already 6 feet under and now its to the point that I take note not to smile or laugh in any situation where I'm not alone.

Are there any avenues of funding available or do I just have to tough it out and save up?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I assume you've filled in a HC1 to see if you can get help with dental treatment? And do you have a student overdraft / bank account?

I'm not applicable for assistance under HC1; I do have a student overdraft and may have to resort to using it instead.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm not applicable for assistance under HC1; I do have a student overdraft and may have to resort to using it instead.
    See if private dentists offer finance or den plans so you don't have to pay it all out in a lump sum.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    When I was young, I didn't take good care of my teeth at all; a few fair years back I had either a filling or crown (not too sure on terms) applied to my top incisor and during the application my teeth were drilled down. However now the applied treatment has completely broken off on one side and I'm left with a very notice-able hole.
    I'm way past the age of free treatment but still in higher education; however my finances are far from promising and sparing the ""up to £25X.XX" is looking very difficult. My self confidence was already 6 feet under and now its to the point that I take note not to smile or laugh in any situation where I'm not alone.

Are there any avenues of funding available or do I just have to tough it out and save up?
    Are you getting that number from NHS? Seems high to me. Most expensive treatment is £233.70 (band 3) and that's only for crowns (though it sounds like that may be what you need).
    Here are the bands from the NHS website (http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNH...l-charges.aspx)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    [*]Emergency dental treatment – £19.70
    This covers emergency care in a primary care NHS dental practice such as pain relief or a temporary filling. [*]Band 1 course of treatment – £19.70
    This covers an examination, diagnosis (including X-rays), advice on how to prevent future problems, a scale and polish if clinically needed, and preventative care such as the application of fluoride varnish or fissure sealant if appropriate. [*]Band 2 course of treatment – £53.90
    This covers everything listed in Band 1 above, plus any further treatment such as fillings, root canal work or removal of teeth but not more complex items covered by Band 3. [*]Band 3 course of treatment – £233.70
    This covers everything listed in Bands 1 and 2 above, plus crowns, dentures, bridges and other laboratory work

Some dentists have a system to help people afford things or you may have to ask somebody (or a bank) for a loan.
    It may be that you have to save up in which case you could try finding some jobs (either actual work or things like lawn mowing, car wash etc), selling some stuff (any old CDs, games, furniture or whatever else you may have laying around). You could also try a site like JustGiving or something where you ask people for money (not sure how they work but some people use them for medical treatment or even new cars.

Good luck. Hope you can get the treatment you need soon

ReputationRep:
    Band 1,2,3 offered by NHS. £233 is max if eligible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Well can't you take an over draft then pay it back later on?. Get a job maybe.
    You say you're a student, if you sacrifice a few things here and there you can save atleast £300.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Fly with cheap airlines to Poland, and a private dentist there will do the job for 5 times lower price. Seriously, even Hollowood stars go to Polish dentists, because they are as good as in the west and far cheaper. I have very weak teeth, therefore lots of experience with dentists, and from what you write it should cost from 40 to 100.£

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.