The Student Room Group

6 Months for Rape? Oh no!

Scroll to see replies

6 years would seem fair - if his actions are undeniable (which they are).
Seems he is being let off the hook due to social class etc. - seems very strange.
Reply 61
Original post by Betelgeuse-

I would give his dad 6 months alone just for the letter he wrote. :biggrin:

It's incredible when he complained about his son's lack of appetite for steaks, isn't it?

I thought I was reading a fake letter from South Park or sth. :biggrin:
Reply 62
Original post by Josb
To serve as a deterrent to other prospective rapists.

Another good reason, seems like one of the most obvious but it didn't come to mind for some reason. However, I do not think that people who do this sort of thing are thinking rationally in general (like I said, there will be the psychopathic and genuinely predatory, but they probably aren't the majority) and if the thought "I shouldn't rape people" can't get through, the thought "I could get jail time" probably isn't going to factor in either. Especially when, regrettably, it is a crime for which evidence is often difficult to attain.
disgusting
Original post by Josb
It's incredible when he complained about his son's lack of appetite for steaks, isn't it?

I thought I was reading a fake letter from South Park or sth. :biggrin:

Ye man honestly his dads letter provoked a reaction in me. Pure sociopath
Reply 65
I feel sorry for that poor girl. He should rot in prison, imo, especially after what his dad said '...20 minutes of action'. That's just disgusting.
Original post by MildredMalone
Well, she was unconcious at the time. Maybe no-one should have told her it happened:smile:

Original post by EricPiphany
How is that disgusting?

Is there something seriously wrong with you two?
That's not what the guy said. Not even remotely.

Yea but it really is though. He more or less said it would have been okay if nobody told her.
It is amazing how the problems of racism,social class ,gender and media portrayal in law cases are combined in one case.
Wouldn't be surprise if this is an establishment stunt in order to stoke up the racial fire even more. But it is interesting how much attention this got, as opposed to all of the migrant rapists in Germany/Sweden who got 6 months less than this guy.
Original post by Dandaman1
In true internet fashion, the public are lighting their torches, sharpening their pitchforks, and making petitions. Why? Brock Turner of Stanford University was recently sentenced to 6 months in prison for raping a girl behind a dumpster. You'll have to Google it because I'm not tech-savvy enough to copy and paste links on my cellphone.

A petition asking for the ruling judge to step down has already reached tens of thousands of signatures. Six months is far too lenient, apparently.

What do you think - is six months enough for rape? Are you angry that he didn't get more time? I've been thinking about it, and I don't have a problem with it. Something I've noticed about myself when it comes to these matters is that I like to put myself in the shoes of the perpetrator. What if it was me? What was going through my mind when I did it? What would be enough for me to learn my lesson, to do penance? People don't often so this, I find. Imagine yourself in prison for six months. And yes, imagine being raped (while unconscious). Is it even the true purpose of imprisonment to provide equivalent suffering, or is it to rehabilitate? Which is most important?

The controversy is also a race issue now, don't forget. Suddenly this is a case of 'white privilege.' Never mind OJ Simpson getting away with murder. Or that white guy on Making a Murderer being put away for life. I mean, imagine if he'd been black - that whole show would have been about how he was a victim of racism. "This doesn't happen to white people," we'd say, somehow forgetting that it does. Similarly, a white OJ Simpson getting off Scott free would've been held up as an example of 'white privilege.'

I've gone off topic...

What a disgusting disgraceful piece of scum :angry: :angry:

The judge isn't a lot better imho, giving off sentences that light, they might aswell just say it's alright and legal to rape someone
Original post by ivybridge
Yea but it really is though. He more or less said it would have been okay if nobody told her.

More or less he didn't say that, and more or less you're being intellectually dishonest.
More or less he didn't say that, and more or less you're being intellectually dishonest.

Conclusion: you cannot ****ing read.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I'm sure with a 20 year sentence he'd come out very rehabilitated. :rolleyes: As if there is any reason to think he should have a longer sentence other than punitive (and to keep him from the rest of society I suppose).

There's a big difference between 20 years and 6 months. He should have a longer sentence so that girl he raped has justice and knows that he can't hurt her again because he is locked away behind bars.

Instead, she knows he will be out in 6 months and yes it is punitive because he deserves to punished. He committed a crime and most definitely hasn't got an appropriate punishment for it.
Conclusion: you cannot ****ing read.

Is there something seriously wrong with you two?

No reason to blow up.
an idiot judge made a stupid decision...lets not make this about race, theres enough of that going around as it is
His father wrote an open letter saying how his son is impacted - how his son is depressed - how his son doesn't want to eat rib eye steak anymore. This makes it clear that the rapist and his father both do not hold any remorse for his son's action; they called 20 minutes of non-stop rape '20 minutes of action'. This scum deserves more.

There were two eye witnesses and a unanimous jury vote of guilty for 3 counts of rape. Why on earth anyone thinks 6 months (with a chance for release a lot earlier than that) is an acceptable amount for a disgusting boy that raped an unconscious woman in public is beyond me. Prison is rehabilitation, yes, but it is also a punishment.

Read the open letter of the father; the father is complaining that his son will be on the sex offence register, that he will be unable to get certain jobs - the father is making out as if his son is the most affected by it. If he is - then that's good! That's the point! He committed the actions, he made a choice to rape somebody - to take something so personal. None of the son's comments have ever shown any remorse or shown that he understand how deeply he's affected another person.

Sure the son is sad - sad that he's going to jail. He's not sad that he could've destroyed another person emotionally - that she's probably going to be scared to leave her house alone, that this will be with her for the rest of her life, forever emotionally scarred and changed by the actions HE decided to take because he is a scummy human.

No - this piece of **** deserves so much more.
Not sure how you can say 6 months is sufficient.

To those saying it's a race thing because the other guy from Vanderbilt is looking at 15+ years. The Vanderbilt guy's co-defendant (white) is also looking at that. Plus there was the case recently of the football player from Baylor (black) getting 6 months like this Brock Turner case.

They should all get a good few years though IMO
I actually just did some wider reading - of that 6 month sentence, he will only spend 3 months in jail.
3 months.
It's disgusting. I feel so sorry for the woman he raped, to go through what she did and then not get justice. I would want to cut his bits off tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending