Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

getting a U in the first chem exam, but getting an A in the second? Watch

ReputationRep:
    so each of the chemistry AS exams contribute to 50% of my final grade, my question is say I got a U in the first exam but an A in the second, what would my overall grade be?

ReputationRep:
    Probably a D, depending on how low the U actually is lol

ReputationRep:
    we cant know unless we know how high the U is and how high/low the A is.

Anyways if you are capable of getting an A in the second paper then it is unlikely that you got a U in the first, especially with the lower grade boundaries.

Roll safe,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    we cant know unless we know how high the U is and how high/low the A is.

Anyways if you are capable of getting an A in the second paper then it is unlikely that you got a U in the first, especially with the lower grade boundaries.

Roll safe,
    omg ahahaha roll safe, RS, thank you btw! and i guess i'll just have to wait and see!

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on the combined UMS from both exams. Exam boards base their grades on total UMS, for which the boundaries are always the same. If you want to know, find out the minimum UMS is needed for a U (i think its 0 for U) and an A, add them together, and then see which UMS grade boundary that falls into.

Idk what exam board ur using but for example you can use the AQA ums converted, pick a random year and enter a random raw score, and it will bring up a graph for you. Ignore the raw score but look at the UMS only

ReputationRep:
    Like people have said you wont know for sure unless you check the UMS, but if its is any indication, that exact scenario happened to me and I got a D.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.