Have you ever been fossil hunting?

Watch
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey everyone!

I am in Dorset at the moment on holiday, and my mum and I have been going fossil hunting every day. We have found quite a few fossils so far, mainly ammonites and belemnites!

So I thought I'd ask whether any of you have been fossil hunting! Where did you go, and what did you find, if anything?
M14B
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes when I was around 13 I went through a stage where I wanted to be a geologist
username2088165
Rep:
?
(Original post by M14B)
Yes when I was around 13 I went through a stage where I wanted to be a geologist
I'm still in that stage haha, I'm doing a geology degree
User2650803
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
Hey everyone!

I am in Dorset at the moment on holiday, and my mum and I have been going fossil hunting every day. We have found quite a few fossils so far, mainly ammonites and belemnites!

So I thought I'd ask whether any of you have been fossil hunting! Where did you go, and what did you find, if anything?
I used to do this all the time in my garden but I don't think it counts as I found nothing
username2088165
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gaya Ramanathan)
I used to do this all the time in my garden but I don't think it counts as I found nothing
Aww I used to do that too! I found a golf ball
User2650803
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aww I used to do that too! I found a golf ball
I always used to find broken pottery etc.
Gapyearstudent54
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey everyone!

I live in Dorset! and the best place is Lyme regis beach (it has like 127 steps down to it or something) I've found the most amazing fossils, like pyrite-covered immaculate ammonites. Take wellies and a hammer though! (oh and a strong bag!)
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
the Lower Jurassic rocks and soils exposed in Gloucestershire yielded abundant belemnites and mollusc fossils such as Gryphaea which we called Devil's Toenails.
xsarawr
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
no

Posted from TSR Mobile
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maid Marian
Report 4 years ago
I like looking for old coins in the ground.
Gapyearstudent54
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
I found one of these once on the beach
username1539513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey everyone!

Yes, I went to Clitheroe last year to look for some crinoid fossils in the disused quarry area over there. I returned with crinoid fossils so I was very pleased
username2088165
Rep:
?
Ah that's nice! I found a piece of crinoid stem on Seatown beach while I was on holiday
RobML
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey everyone!

I've been fossil hunting in Lyme Regis a couple of times, and like you all I found was a few crummy ammonites and belemnites. Crossing my fingers you find a complete plesiosaur soon
username2088165
Rep:
?
(Original post by RobML)
I've been fossil hunting in Lyme Regis a couple of times, and like you all I found was a few crummy ammonites and belemnites. Crossing my fingers you find a complete plesiosaur soon
Cool, we didn't end up going to Lyme Regis in the end! We didn't manage to find a plesiosaur unfortunately, just the ammonites, belemnites and a piece of crinoid stem
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I haven't actually gone anywhere with the sole intention of finding fossils for fun but I've gone looking for fossils on several field trips
My favourite stuff is probably fossil coral. I haven't actually got any samples myself although I have got a very nice Gigantoproductus.
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ah that's nice! I found a piece of crinoid stem on Seatown beach while I was on holiday
Just a stem? The pic I posted in the geology society is my crinoid fossils, if you look closely you would be able to see the crinoid stems in the matrix haha
hezzlington
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It sounds like we have some members that can really get the geology society buzzing...
username2088165
Rep:
?
Yep, just a bit of a stem! I'll take a look at them now!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed