Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My SWAP Access: STEM course is no longer being offered - options? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Got an email this morning saying

'I would like to thank you for your application and your interest in studying at this College. I regret to advise you that it is not possible to offer this course in the current academic session. I anticipate the course will be offered again in 2017/18, and ask you to check the website in October/November if you wish to re-apply.'

This is at the springburn campus for Glasgow Kelvin College

I've emailed for clarification on what she means (I went in and sat my aptitude test on Tuesday but I think I got around 100%) So I think the entire course has been withdrawn?

What are my other options? I was looking to use this as a stepping stone to get me into university - I'm looking to study Computer Science and currently live in Glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    It looks like the course has been cancelled. It's a pain in the arse but the only option is to try colleges further afield, I had to do the same on 3 weeks notice last August.

ReputationRep:
    That's nonsense. When we went in she said that she had already accepted 7 people onto the course - imagine they'll be raging!

I don't live close enough to any of the other colleges that offer access courses. I've applied for do to HND Computer Science at cardonald (glasgow clyde). Hopefully they'll overlook my lack of qualifications due to my 10 years working in the field..

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at Glasgow University? I'm doing a course through them in September and it's only two nights a week studying Maths and Physics.

ReputationRep:
    Most likely it was cancelled due to lack of potential students or they haven't been able to recruit the required staff. It certainly not the first time I've heard about access courses being cancelled.

Have you looked into suitable foundation degrees as an alternative?

ReputationRep:
    Don't give up hope yet!!!!!

Call the uni you want to study with after access and see if they would except an alternative access course (have a list of the l3 units of any other access courses you find to hand) or have a year 0/will except ou credits/access modules.

Not the same access course tbh, but i applied for access to science last year but it was cancelled due to only 3 people applying. I ended up doing access to science for health professionals, which didnt have enough chemistry etc but the uni's are surprisingly flexible if you call them. Im off to do biomedical in sepember despite the "wrong" access course. :-)

ReputationRep:
    Double post

ReputationRep:
    My access course is actually on they just took a month getting back to me. I got an acceptance email the other day - It's a HND course at South Lanarkshire College that's been cancelled due to not enough applicants. But they hope to start it in Jan so I might see about switching to cut a year off my study time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.