Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Advice on how to cope with social anxiety??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparky2016)
    I think the best way of dealing with it is to slowly introduce yourself to bigger and bigger anxiety-provoking situations over time. For instance #1 could be go out of the house, #2 go into a store, #3 ask where something in the store is etc.

I've struggled a lot with social anxiety over the years but I'm much better now than I was in the past. I saw a psychologist for a while for CBT and I would get "homework" to do for when I saw her again - the homework was basically to engage in social tasks building it up over time. I think if you throw yourself in the deep end you can really mess things up but ngl that approach does work for some people: it all depends on the individual.

I'd advise talking to your doctor about it and see if he thinks it's severe enough to get CBT for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I think the best way of dealing with it is to slowly introduce yourself to bigger and bigger anxiety-provoking situations over time. For instance #1 could be go out of the house, #2 go into a store, #3 ask where something in the store is etc.

I've struggled a lot with social anxiety over the years but I'm much better now than I was in the past. I saw a psychologist for a while for CBT and I would get "homework" to do for when I saw her again - the homework was basically to engage in social tasks building it up over time. I think if you throw yourself in the deep end you can really mess things up but ngl that approach does work for some people: it all depends on the individual.

I'd advise talking to your doctor about it and see if he thinks it's severe enough to get CBT for it.
    I second all of this. Some people don't find CBT helpful but to others it is a lifesaver. It's definitely worth trying, although it requires a lot of commitment.

You just need to find the root and cause of the social anxiety. Ask yourself what is really causing it? Other than that you need to deal with it not cope with it. You're gonna need to deal with it sooner or later so why not sooner. Social anxiety is not about exposing yourself to this or that, its about the mindset. Ask yourself why am i unconfident.

ReputationRep:
    Learn to build social skills gradually. This will help to take the focus away from your anxiety and onto how you can interact. When you have a purpose, the anxiety goes down. You are not the only one who will be anxious at the social occasion, other people are relieved when you have the courage to ask a question and break the ice.

Learn to manage your general anxiety. Effective breathing involves the use of the diaphragm to slow things down and relax your physical tension. Keep practising it and it will become natural:
    http://www.clinicalhypnotherapy-card...ng-techniques/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparky2016)
    I recommend faking confidence. It helps a bunch. If you can't act, watch a lot of youtube videos of funny and confident people, I recommend Storytimes. They helped me a lot.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.