Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I'm starting my MSc in Investment management at Cass this coming September. I'm planning to apply for PhD programme in Finance the following year.

So, I decided to spend a good portion of this summer thinking about my research topic. I find areas of hedge fund and portfolio theory very interesting and would like to ideally conduct a research in those areas.

However, I came up with a number of ideas on those areas but there seems to be loads of researchers out there that have already answered my questions.

Thus, I'm finding it extremely difficult to come with an original research question. I was wondering if anyone is currently doing a PhD in finance or are planning to apply in the future and if yes it would be lovely to get some tips on how to approach my research question.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    When do you intend submitting your PhD application? It sounds like you'll have plenty of time during your MSc to talk to staff and get their thoughts on potential research areas. Have you identified any potential supervisors? What research areas are they working on? Do any topics feature heavily in publications? Hopefully something there will help. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    When do you intend submitting your PhD application? It sounds like you'll have plenty of time during your MSc to talk to staff and get their thoughts on potential research areas. Have you identified any potential supervisors? What research areas are they working on? Do any topics feature heavily in publications? Hopefully something there will help. Good luck!
    Hey, thanks for the reply. Hoping to apply for next year. The applications open from November to Febraury I believe.
    I have a number of supervisors in mind. But I think you're right. It might be better to wait a little to talk to staff. Ive read a number of researches, but I might have to dig deep into the recent journals!!! Thanks for your advice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.