Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Question8M12015AQA.JPG
Views: 71
Size:  47.1 KBHi all, I have looked at the unofficial/official mark scheme for this particular paper but I just cannot get started on Question 8b? Could someone please take me through some steps to get started please?

I got through question 8a using suvat's to find the difference but this 8b has knocked me out. Please help
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by MLW12345)
Size:  47.1 KBHi all, I have looked at the unofficial/official mark scheme for this particular paper but I just cannot get started on Question 8b? Could someone please take me through some steps to get started please?

I got through question 8a using suvat's to find the difference but this 8b has knocked me out. Please help
    I would say that you can make use of your answer from part a, then figure out the time where they've travelled an equal distance and then work out the rest from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MLW12345)

OK thanks, first I realised the trains were at constant acceleration so I solved for A using info from original suvats for both trains.

Then I set up new suvats with S = ? and realised that the difference of displacement between the 2 trains will be equal to 9 which gave me a quadratic that I could solve for T.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.