Turn on thread page Beta

Such a leep forward.... watch

ReputationRep:
    From 2005 BT are caping the montly download limit to 15gb a month for their ADSL service. Surely if they should be encouraging 'internet tv' style sites rather than discouraging it.

ReputationRep:
    i know! how stupid! as if english broadband doesnt suck enough already!!! not only are we slower than the rest of the world (1meg if ur lucky 512k if ur not!) we now get capped!!! grrrrrrrrr!!!!! we are not even medium band and they are capping it!!!

ReputationRep:
    No, if your unluck then you "have the wrong kind of cable" down your road, and the fastest internet connection you can have is 56k. (No cable, no ADSL, and I live near heathrow just outside london!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThE_OnE)
    i know! how stupid! as if english broadband doesnt suck enough already!!! not only are we slower than the rest of the world (1meg if ur lucky 512k if ur not!) we now get capped!!! grrrrrrrrr!!!!! we are not even medium band and they are capping it!!!
    Its only BT broadband afaik, just use a better isp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revelation)
    Its only BT broadband afaik, just use a better isp.
    I think this cap applies to the Whosale thing as well which means most ISPs will have the same resriction.

ReputationRep:
    Argh, that'll suck a lot .

ReputationRep:
    Nah it doesnt apply to the wholesale. The capping & traffic shaping is done at the ISP-side.

BT couldnt apply such capps at it would void alot of consumer contracts with their ISP - mondo problemo!!!

ReputationRep:
    I would hate to be capped, I would literally exceed the set limit every month.

BTW, you do know it is leap.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how many people will actually download 15Gb a month. I will (hopefully) find out soon if I do : if I do, CRAP.

As far as I see, the only thing apart from stream TV / film over the internet that uses up massive downloads is downloading programs and music off P2P networks. So ... 15Gb limit is a bad thing if you use Kazaa or Bittorrent

And yes, our internet does suck. In Hong Kong, for example, a 10Mbit line will cost you about $10 a month, with no cap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mighty)
    I don't know how many people will actually download 15Gb a month. I will (hopefully) find out soon if I do : if I do, CRAP.

As far as I see, the only thing apart from stream TV / film over the internet that uses up massive downloads is downloading programs and music off P2P networks. So ... 15Gb limit is a bad thing if you use Kazaa or Bittorrent

And yes, our internet does suck. In Hong Kong, for example, a 10Mbit line will cost you about $10 a month, with no cap.
    When I am in a downloading mood, I can download over 15GB a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mighty)
    In Hong Kong, for example, a 10Mbit line will cost you about $10 a month, with no cap.
    what!!?? are you serious?? thats like 5 quid for 10X the speed! :eek:

(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    When I am in a downloading mood, I can download over 15GB a week.
    no one can take in that much pr0n

ReputationRep:
    Does the download limit include files from ordinary web pages, or just conscious downloads? If you get what I mean...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    Does the download limit include files from ordinary web pages, or just conscious downloads? If you get what I mean...
    Downloads is anything, from ordinary web pages to video streams. It would be impossible to use 15gb just from web pages and graphics though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    what!!?? no one can take in that much pr0n
    I think you mean games, progs and music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    I think you mean games, progs and music.
    hehe yeah thats what i meant :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    what!!?? are you serious?? thats like 5 quid for 10X the speed! :eek:
    Yeah, I'm soooo going to move to Hong Kong to retire <_<

Until then, I'll have to do with the College 100mb line for all my program downloads. Har har

ReputationRep:
    I manage about 6GB a month on my 56k line, so the thought of a 15gb cap is not good.

BTW: Blueyonder Cable dosent have a cap, and you can get it in 3mb now! (Wish I could get that)
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    bt really are quite dim when it comes to new technologies/markets - what with selling off cellnet, taking forever to get into the home adsl/isdn market (about 3 yrs ago we were paying a rediculous £44 a month for an ISDN line), being generally pants at customer service/communication and many many more stupid little mistakes - as for their "thousands coming back to bt claim" which the ASA told them off about because it was a LIE :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    From 2005 BT are caping the montly download limit to 15gb a month for their ADSL service. Surely if they should be encouraging 'internet tv' style sites rather than discouraging it.
    15 GB's is a hell of alot of space, if everyone was downloading 15GB's a month, their hardrives would be almost certainly full after 6 months!

I don't think its that unrealistic, just trying to stop people who may be taking advantage of them.

ReputationRep:
    i download atleast 50GB a month in dvd movies alone hehe

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 8, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.