Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Ok, so here we go. First of all I'm neither a UK-citizen nor I live in the UK, but my dream is to study a science-related course (ok, medicine ) in the UK. I'm an EU citizen living in an EFTA country. Here, upper secondary school or high school lasts 3 years, and these are the 3 final years of education. In the town where I lived, I used to play jazz guitar, but that was before high school. I played in the local concerts, and I even had the honor to play jazz together with professional musicians that came over from England and that have recorded their own CDs (this is true, I promise!!). But now, I'm in my first year of high school, and my school is 100 km away from the place where I used to live, so I have to live close to my school during weekdays, and thus I had to quit playing (by the way, the reason why I chose a school located that far away was the IB program. The national qualifications in the country where I live are not that appreciated and that widely approved in the UK if you want to study medicine. Now I'm almost done with Pre-IB and hoping to do the IB next year). My question is then: Is this jazz playing with professional musicians still worth mentioning in University applications, even though I didn't do any playing in high school (until now)? (I've read articles saying that in the USA, they only care about the extra curriculars you did in high school, is it the same way in the UK?) By the way this jazz playing is relevant, I've given it much of a thought lately . Sorry for making this so long, all answers greatly appreciated Thank you!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    The general rule of thumb is in the last two years (from when you are writing the PS) at most
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.