Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How can I keep myself calm in the exam hall? I get really nervous.

ReputationRep:
    Idk I think someone had a **** in ours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mero22)
    think that if you fail this exam your whole life,your career is ended and you'll will end up working in mcdonals

im joking, you either are just calm or you're not

ReputationRep:
    try to be one of the last people to enter the hall so you don't spend too long waiting and worrying

also try blowing on the back of your thumb (it's supposed to calm you down)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theBranicAc)
    think that if you fail this exam your whole life,your career is ended and you'll will end up working in mcdonals

im joking, you either are just calm or you're not
    That's the worst thing you could say to someone asking a question about staying calm.

ReputationRep:
    Don't arrive too early where you will be surrounded by lots of people that will stress you out, stay with friends you know are chilled and relaxed before, avoid those that aren't. In the hall sit in your chair as comfortably as you can and picture yourself just doing a past paper at home. Have some water with you and control your breathing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Before the exam:
    One thing that I found helped was to just feel prepared. Feeling confident with what you know helps a lot.
    Another thing is to not stress yourself out just before the exam. So refrain from any hardcore revision on the day, talk to your mates, have a laugh, be relaxed. So then going in the exam hall isn't so daunting since you'd be relaxed.

During the exam:
    When you sit down, try taking deep breathes to regulate your breathing and make sure you remain calm.
    When you do the exam, don't think of anything else but the answer to the question, try not to over think it too much, most of the time the answer is simple.

ReputationRep:
    Proper exam technique.

Make sure you fill in the front page correctly - check it twice.
    Read through the entire exam booklet (again twice if necessary).
    Choose the easiest question and start with that, moving gradually onto the harder ones.

Tackling the exam this way will give you the initial time to calm down while reading and will help boost your confidence early on by giving you the "easy win" with the easier questions.

You'll be amazed how that question that looked impossible when you first read it actually seems fairly reasonable, if difficult, once you've calmed down and beaten a few of the easier questions.

I find it interesting how focused schools are on exams these days but they don't bother teaching proper technique.

ReputationRep:
    Smoke a joint before you go in, it calms you down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alyiza)
    loool

ReputationRep:
    Pray before the exam, during your exam and after your exam.... legit the only thing that got me through my AS exams 😎

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mero22)
    I used to get so anxious, when I started my exams. I have 21 exams and I've got 8 left.

To make myself calm: I just think to myself how useless it is getting all anxious, because it won't change the outcome - but CAN make it WORSE.

Because you won't be able to think clealy if you're anxious.

And all that hard work and revision may not pay off - that's what I tell myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alyiza)

(Original post by Zara0526)
    Pray before the exam, during your exam and after your exam.... legit the only thing that got me through my AS exams 😎
    I always recite surahs before entering the exam and begin the exam with durood shareef.

Today in my maths exam there was 5 minutes left and I still had to complete a 4 mark question which I avoided throughout because it was so difficult and I couldn't get my head around it.

Alhamdulillah I prayed and I swear suddenly I knew the exact method and I cried afterwards because it was such a lightbulb moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxskaan)
    I always recite surahs before entering the exam and begin the exam with durood shareef.

Today in my maths exam there was 5 minutes left and I still had to complete a 4 mark question which I avoided throughout because it was so difficult and I couldn't get my head around it.

Alhamdulillah I prayed and I swear suddenly I knew the exact method and I cried afterwards because it was such a lightbulb moment.
    Alhamdulillah!
    I always read Ayatul kursi before my exams and during them, then i do some nafl prayers afterwards.... it always helps me get through the exams and do the best that i can (especially during Ramadhan) 😃

ReputationRep:
    Drink some water and pray.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.