Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need help!
    I'm currently in Year. 11 and so next year will be going to sixth form/college. I've chosen to do A-levels and have managed to get a place at two schools. The first one is the school that I'm at and the second one is a school with apparently a better sixth form and results. I really want to go to the sixth form of the school I'm currently at however my parents feel it is best for me to go to the other school. I have tried talking to them but they both seem to shut me off at any talk of my discussing which school I want to do my A-levels at. My dad keeps saying that it's "his choice" where I go but I don't see how that's fair. I know that I would be extremely unhappy if I went to the other school and I am so worried that he is somehow going to "force" me to go there.
    Advice/help on what I can do to prevent this happening.
    P.s. I moved schools in Year.7 and suffered panic attacks and anxiety for a year and I really don't want this to happen again as it will affect my education while it being such an important time doing A-levels.
    Thanks in advance
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    x
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by jasmine_cannon)
    I need help!
    I'm currently in Year. 11 and so next year will be going to sixth form/college. I've chosen to do A-levels and have managed to get a place at two schools. The first one is the school that I'm at and the second one is a school with apparently a better sixth form and results. I really want to go to the sixth form of the school I'm currently at however my parents feel it is best for me to go to the other school. I have tried talking to them but they both seem to shut me off at any talk of my discussing which school I want to do my A-levels at. My dad keeps saying that it's "his choice" where I go but I don't see how that's fair. I know that I would be extremely unhappy if I went to the other school and I am so worried that he is somehow going to "force" me to go there.
    Advice/help on what I can do to prevent this happening.
    P.s. I moved schools in Year.7 and suffered panic attacks and anxiety for a year and I really don't want this to happen again as it will affect my education while it being such an important time doing A-levels.
    Thanks in advance
    You need to discuss this in depth with your parents, calmly and sensibly. You need to be happy where you end up, but it will be extremely difficult if your parents don't support your decision. The only way you can resolve this is by having a good discussion about the situation. You both need to talk about the pros and cons of each school. Try to understand your parents' point of view and why they feel so strongly against your current school - I'm sure they wouldn't cause you this much stress without having a good reason. Also put across your point of having a bad experience moving schools and that you're concerned this will happen again. Similarly you need to be open to the possibility that this will be a better school and that you could thrive there. If you're looking at going to university you will be thrown outside of your comfort zone in a different learning environment with new people and moving schools before sixth form can be really good preparation for that, especially if you're an anxious person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    You need to discuss this in depth with your parents, calmly and sensibly. You need to be happy where you end up, but it will be extremely difficult if your parents don't support your decision. The only way you can resolve this is by having a good discussion about the situation. You both need to talk about the pros and cons of each school. Try to understand your parents' point of view and why they feel so strongly against your current school - I'm sure they wouldn't cause you this much stress without having a good reason. Also put across your point of having a bad experience moving schools and that you're concerned this will happen again. Similarly you need to be open to the possibility that this will be a better school and that you could thrive there. If you're looking at going to university you will be thrown outside of your comfort zone in a different learning environment with new people and moving schools before sixth form can be really good preparation for that, especially if you're an anxious person.
    Thank you so much!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.