Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I just wanted to ask you guys how to keep your friendships going. Like ofc I have like a few besties that I always talk to but when it comes to new people like things just seem to be going dry....
    Any advice, what about you guys???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsmeLaura)
    Hey,
    I just wanted to ask you guys how to keep your friendships going. Like ofc I have like a few besties that I always talk to but when it comes to new people like things just seem to be going dry....
    I'm about the same, keeping people at a distance can help (online, for example), cause people don't get annoyed or bored with each other anywhere near as much.

Hope that helps

H

ReputationRep:
    i just stick with my besties, i like to have a small group of friends because you can find about them better and know them better :unsure: making new friends can always be a bit tricky but try to talk to them to see if they are interested being friends with you :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    if it helps i literally have no best friends and any of my good friends i have, i never ever see...literally

ReputationRep:
    As a male my friendship group is active everyday, play Xbox together etc. On weekends we will go and play football in a massive group as we generally have a lot of common interests to share. When it comes to meeting new people (In school for me personally) I just keep it in school. This is because I feel relatively comfortable with my group of mates but I do like to keep a good social balance in school of course. Hope this has provided some insight when it comes to meeting new people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    i just stick with my besties, i like to have a small group of friends because you can find about them better and know them better :unsure: making new friends can always be a bit tricky but try to talk to them to see if they are interested being friends with you :dontknow:
    Hey,
    Yeah the start is fine but after that period it gets a bit tricky.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsmeLaura)
    Hey,
    Honestly, that sounds perfectly normal to me, even if sometimes I myself worry about this. I think the reason why a lot of friendships dwindle is because of compatibility. When you find people with mutual hobbies, interests etc you tend to click and stick with them, whereas most other friendships tend to be more superficial or acquaintances. Meeting new people in general is difficult; meeting people who will become very close to you is even harder. For me, personally, I have *a lot* of friends and people I know. I put myself out there big-time, online and offline, and it puts me in contact with a lot of people. That said, in real life I'd say there's only about six people I'm particularly close to, and about the same online too. I then have, for lack of a better way to describe it, "secondary friends" whom I'm somewhat close to, occasionally talk to, but otherwise don't spend much time with because our interests, friendship circle etc is different. Then I just know a load of random people who rarely say hi, like a FB status etc.

As for what can be done; as long as you're doing your own thing and pursuing your interests, like-minded people will come to you eventually. Of course, build up these superficial connections because perhaps one day they'll develop into something more, or otherwise allow you to develop your social skills so that when someone you CAN bond with comes along, you'll be prepared for it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 9, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.