Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much of your identity is formed through social media? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm researching the idea for my Masters: Are we(young people) becoming more depersonalised by technology and more detached from the real world - What impact is this having on our identities? is it validation or destroying it?

Thanks for responding!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Ed03)
    I'm researching the idea for my Masters: Are we(young people) becoming more depersonalised by technology and more detached from the real world - What impact is this having on our identities? is it validation or destroying it?

Thanks for responding!
    I dont think social media does any harm to our identifities at all.

ReputationRep:
    Is this your qualitative data? or just sharing ideas?

You could look at theories like 'Deindividuation' (the loss of self-awareness in groups Eg. Hooligans, peer pressure) and the 'Looking Glass Self' (person's self grows out of society's interpersonal interactions and the perceptions of others. Eg, If I say something inappropriate, your reaction would show me that I shouldn't say that again. I shape myself based on how others around me see me - I have never seen myself from your perspective.) Goffmancreated 'Dramaturgy' which is the idea that we're all actors and our 'stage' is different interactions. We behave in different ways in different scenarios and portray our self in different ways.
    With those in mind, our identity is formed completely by social media. Some people will put their whole life on Facebook for others to see, others only share positive events giving the impression they have a perfect life etc. We do it for the reaction. (Social Learning Theory)

In fact there's a lot of Social Psychology that can be used for this.
    The concept that we have different 'selfs' Eg. when we're not feeling "100% / normal" today, implies that we have different selfs.

Online bullying definitely depersonalises people. They become online warriors when they're behind a screen with a hidden location. The internet allows us to become anybody with usernames, forum themes and millions of images to use.

Technology tries to incorporate the 'real world' into it though - Facebook has a news feed for 'real news'. Twitter has 'trending' news options, some phones (HTC) has a news feed and alerts the user of breaking news updates. Wearable technology like Fitbit reminds people to live healthily.

This is a good article about the effects of Facebook on the brain (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...-a7060461.html)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.