Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone.

I finished a degree in biomedical science last year (1st) and was dealt 4 rejections for grad entry medicine earlier this year. I didn't apply for medicine from sixth form because my sixth form tutor encouraged me to go down the Grad entry route. I got ACC at a-level (phys ed; biology; eng lit). Anyway, I digress. I have accepted a PhD in thyroid cancer treatment research at the local hospital in association with my uni. I am going to use it as a means to an end (I know people say not to) to getting into medicine. I enjoy research, although nowhere near as much as I enjoy the more clinical stuff.

Has anyone got any experience of this kind of thing? I realise that it's going to be a long haul but then again, it's only like doing a PhD after getting a MBBS.

A discussion would be massively appreciated, and feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers A x

ReputationRep:
    Just apply with your biomed degree, why would you want to spend 3 years on a PhD when your heart is set on medicine? How come you were rejected? Did you pass all of the entrance exams?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Marathi,

I am going to apply again this summer for medicine. But then if don't have a place again at least I have a contingency plan! The reason on UCAS for the rejections was 'increased competition'. I got an average of 660 on the UKCAT which I imagine had something to do with it! I applied at: Warwick, Southampton, Kings, Barts. I don't have A-level chemistry which narrows down possible avenues to apply at. I have a decent statement IMO with volunteering for various charities and working as a ambulance first responder, and excellent extra-curricular.

Thanks Marathi

ReputationRep:
    Just be sure it's something you would definitely want to do as an alternative as 3 years of fees and studying a subject on such an intense level will take its toll. Good luck with this years application, hopefully you will get a stronger UKCAT score and be accepted this year!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the PhD looks good. Not to mention its funded with a nice stipend. Yes me too, hopefully the UKCAT will be a little nicer this year. Haha.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have contemplated doing the chemistry again. But then again i did chemistry modules at undergrad to 2:1 standard.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    You can. I'm not convinced is the best strategy if your only aim is to do medicine, but it does provide a qualification which is both useful in terms of career progression through medicine and in terms of alternative jobs in the biomedicine sector. You'll get paid a few pennies which is nice, although it's about a third of what you would get found it as a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    Hi nexttime,

Yeah i agree it's not the best way around it, my head has been spinning thinking about it all these past few weeks haha. But I'm just thinking of the best way to get into med school, as that's all I really want to do. As i say i'll be booking my UKCAT within the next couple of days, hoping to get 700+ in that.

Thanks A

ReputationRep:
    (and applying this time around, then doing the PhD if i don't get in again).

ReputationRep:
    For me personally, PhD+MD looks great - you are versatile enough to do both research and clinical work and have much more knowledge than just a doctor or just a phd. Myself I am going to finish Medicine, don't go straight to residency (well I'm not studying in UK so no idea how is it called - like a specialization), apply for a medical research/biomedical PhD program and only after that go for a clinical training to get a full clinical license. So your plan seems great for me!

ReputationRep:
    Hey RugileRar,

Yeah that's my thinking on the matter. It's a long road but who cares when you're getting to where u wanna be.

cheers

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.