Transects and Quadrats (AQA Biology Unit 2)

Watch
Adamtoo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What do you need to know for these two. All I currently know is that a tape measure can be used a transect line in two neighbouring habitats. Quadrats then have to be placed at regular intervals along the transect and you can calculate the percentage of distribution in each quadrat or simply count how many there are. This can then be repeated multiple times by placing the transect randomly and then after working out the mean. Anything I missed out?
zeldor711
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Adamtoo)
What do you need to know for these two. All I currently know is that a tape measure can be used a transect line in two neighbouring habitats. Quadrats then have to be placed at regular intervals along the transect and you can calculate the percentage of distribution in each quadrat or simply count how many there are. This can then be repeated multiple times by placing the transect randomly and then after working out the mean. Anything I missed out?
You can also use quadrats by themselves by throwing them randomly
Adamtoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by zeldor711)
You can also use quadrats by themselves by throwing them randomly
Ah okay, thought it had to be with the transect.
zeldor711
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah okay, thought it had to be with the transect.
That is also ok
bikiniikilll
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can anyone explain Mitosis and Meiosis in the easiest possible way?
Adamtoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by bikiniikilll)
Mitosis= Type of cell devision that is used to: forming replacement cells; during growth and for asexual reproduction. The genetic material (or chromosomes) is copied and the cell divides ONCE to form two genetically identical cells to the original cell. (You don't need to know the stages, just the process of it)

Meiosis= Type of cell devision that makes gametes. The genetic material is copied and then the cells divides TWICE to form four cells that are not genetically identical. They each contain a single set of chromosomes (half number of chromosomes as the original cell)

hope it helps!
bikiniikilll
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Mitosis= Type of cell devision that is used to: forming replacement cells; during growth and for asexual reproduction. The genetic material (or chromosomes) is copied and the cell divides ONCE to form two genetically identical cells to the original cell. (You don't need to know the stages, just the process of it)

Meiosis= Type of cell devision that makes gametes. The genetic material is copied and then the cells divides TWICE to form four cells that are not genetically identical. They each contain a single set of chromosomes (half number of chromosomes as the original cell)

hope it helps!
Thankyou ! Its so much simpler than my revision guide.
Adamtoo
Rep:
?
Thankyou ! Its so much simpler than my revision guide.
Np and yeah the revision guides tend to go in depth and give unnecessary information, just understand the concepts of both and differences.
ol-16aliala
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
meiosis cells keep replicating and mitosis cells replicate until they have identical cells
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (175)
44.08%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
10.83%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.06%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (85)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (39)
9.82%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (23)
5.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed