The Student Room Group

Internal and external exam difference

Hi

Some of my friends are doing internal exams and some are doing external exams. What exactly is the difference?
Is it that, the people who are doing AS internal exams can not apply for uni this year?
I know that the internal papers get marked by our subject teachers.

It would be appreciated if you can very briefly describe the main difference between the two.

Thanks,
Anna :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

I believe that internal exams are what students who have 'exams after 2 years' subjects are doing. They will be marked by subject tutors, but they are just as important as external AS grades in terms of getting your predicted grade for university applications. The only difference is that the internal grade does not contribute to your overall A-Level grade, so, if you get a C in the internal exam, provided you work hard in the second year, you are no more disadvantaged than someone who achieved an A in getting an A overall. The only difference is that your predicted grade will probably be lower, so you won't be able to apply to universities that will ask for an A in that subject.

I hope that made sense!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by sophiebookley
Hi,

I believe that internal exams are what students who have 'exams after 2 years' subjects are doing. They will be marked by subject tutors, but they are just as important as external AS grades in terms of getting your predicted grade for university applications. The only difference is that the internal grade does not contribute to your overall A-Level grade, so, if you get a C in the internal exam, provided you work hard in the second year, you are no more disadvantaged than someone who achieved an A in getting an A overall. The only difference is that your predicted grade will probably be lower, so you won't be able to apply to universities that will ask for an A in that subject.

I hope that made sense!

Thanks for the explanation. That made sense! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest