Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Change tier in GCSE Watch

• View Poll Results: change tier before exam begans
    No you can't change last minute
    58.33%
    Yes you can change last minute
    41.67%

ReputationRep:
    Would I be able to change from higher to foundation paper last minute, like literally before the exam starts or do I have to stick with higher?

ReputationRep:
    I was told that if there are spare papers, you can ask the invigilators, and get a different tier paper. My maths teacher told us stories of last minute tier changes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasmin1001)
    Would I be able to change from higher to foundation paper last minute, like literally before the exam starts or do I have to stick with higher?
    It entirely depends on your school. They may not have spare papers and it will cost them money to change the entry so they may well say no.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    one of my friends changed her french foundation to higher quite close to the exam. tell your subject teacher and exam officer

ReputationRep:
    You can change on the day just let your teacher know. They always have spare papers

ReputationRep:
    I would say it depends on your school, I wanted to drop to French Foundation for the listening exam, I was able to like, but only coz I got in time for the deadline which was like the Friday before exams started.
    Will it not be better to stay on the higher tier, I only say this as to get a passing grade you have to get like 70-80 % but on higher tier, to get a C its like 40 or 50%?

ReputationRep:
    The only reason I want to do foundation is because my teacher hasn't taught me enough on the higher and I have a better chance of passing the foundation then the higher paper, when I did mocks I got Us and Fs whilst doing higher so I felt foundation is the only way for me to pass but thank you for the help
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Yeah I'm pretty sure you can just put your hand up and change tiers there and then. A few people in my school have done it for English and maths etc

ReputationRep:
    Yes You can, but there's a hefty fee to pay for last minute changes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    one of my friends changed her french foundation to higher quite close to the exam. tell your subject teacher and exam officer
    did the examiners automatically give it or check the system to see her actual tier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anisa2009)
    did the examiners automatically give it or check the system to see her actual tier
    The exams staff will have checked carefully to ensure nobody has been given the wrong paper by mistake. If you just put your hand up and say you've got the wrong one they are going to have to check the records, delay the exam and then be very cross with you when it emerges you have not told the truth. On the very small chance that you trick them at the time it will be discovered when they do the paperwork to go with the papers and they are not going to be happy with you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protostar)
    Yeah I'm pretty sure you can just put your hand up and change tiers there and then. A few people in my school have done it for English and maths etc
    So if you put your hand up and ask to change tier do your u just say you want the other tier or you've been placed in the wrong one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anisa2009)
    So if you put your hand up and ask to change tier do your u just say you want the other tier or you've been placed in the wrong one
    Your school is unlikely to let you do this on the day - changing tiers is very expensive at that point.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.