This discussion is closed.
hihihihi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
has anyone seen the new fetal images due to new ultrasound techniques or something
i vaguely read an article a few dasy ago in a newspaper.

here's one link i found that has some clips
http://www.layyous.com/ultasound/ultrasound_video.htm

one of the clips is of the fetus yawning- why do they yawn when air is taken in through the placenta??
A0307
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I saw these in the paper a while ago, it makes it seem ridiculous that they can still be legally aborted at 24 weeks.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They're amazing! I'd guess the yawning is just a reflex: we need it after we're born so I suppose it needs to be put in place beforehand.

PS Advice: don't say that air is taken in through the placenta in an exam...!
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by calumc)
I saw these in the paper a while ago, it makes it seem ridiculous that they can still be legally aborted at 24 weeks.
Just because they look like little humans doesn't mean that they can survive as them. The mortality rate at 24 weeks is very high, and even those that do survive will often be permanently damaged.
wiwarin_mir
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Just because they look like little humans doesn't mean that they can survive as them. The mortality rate at 24 weeks is very high, and even those that do survive will often be permanently damaged.
That is why in some countries there is a cutoff point which is either a certain week of pregnancy or a weight threshold. Below that threshold, no attempt will be made to rescusitate the baby.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
By chance do you know which countries? I'm interested in knowing that's all.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (72)
18.46%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (78)
20%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (74)
18.97%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (84)
21.54%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (41)
10.51%
I haven't started researching yet (41)
10.51%

Watched Threads