Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Would they still be at the uni now that all the students have left? I want to send an email to some

(Original post by ~Sam~)
    Would they still be at the uni now that all the students have left? I want to send an email to some
    I can only speak for two universities but I'm going to assume that the rest will follow suit and therefore yes they should still be there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    i think they're always there, you should be able to contact them..

(Original post by Fly By)
    i think they're always there
    I think they let them go home at Christmas but other than that they are caged up and forced to answer the phone at gun point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I think they let them go home at Christmas but other than that they are caged up and forced to answer the phone at gun point.
    lol its worse than guntanamo bay, keep answering phones from bloody students :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I have sent e-mails to some admissions at certain universities and they replied so i guess they were there .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    I have sent e-mails to some admissions at certain universities and they replied so i guess they were there .
    oh yeah, emails arw a good idea. coz they can reply from home aswell..

ReputationRep:
    Admissions tutors will be here all the time.

ReputationRep:
    i'm pretty sure admissions tutors also do research/teach etc. so they will still be there

ReputationRep:
    Ive worked out only some are at the uni i'm going to, But there should be someone at any uni that will be able to resolve any issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    oh yeah, emails arw a good idea. coz they can reply from home aswell..
    because they've got nothing better to do... :rolleyes:

On a more serious note: yes, they should be there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    But remember that the times when the students are away and before the results come out are the only real period they get for their summer hols - and many will try to get away before the schools break up and the prices soar.

Plus many academics that are involved in research spend this time of year at conferences/get togethers to publicise their research.
    True - they might be away for conferences or short research trips, so don't panic when you don't get an answer to your e-mail within a matter of hours.
    A lot of people on this forum (quite understandably in their position) seem to think that University Admission Tutors have a real passion for their job. This is just not the case! The departmental Admissions Tutors will mostly be lecturers who will be far more interested in their research than in judging applicants - being AT, in reality, may just be a job forced on them by their Head of Department, etc. So don't worry: most Admissions Tutors will have far more interesting things to do than scrutinize every single sentence on your personal statement, get the MI5 on your heels, or work out more nasty interview questions (even though the immense competition at certain universities is undoubtedly pushing them in thias direction.)

ReputationRep:
    If you can't call the subject admissions tutor, you could talk to the "general" admissions tutor though.

ReputationRep:
    Alrite then. That's what I kind of meant, but you explained it clearer, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommyboy)
    A lot of people on this forum seem to think that University Admission Tutors have a real passion for their job. This is just not the case! The departmental Admissions Tutors will mostly be lecturers who will be far more interested in their research than in judging applicants

dont tar everyone with the same brush. the AT for maths at exeter is lovely, and really does have a passion for what he does. he was absolutly smashing last summer with me when i went through clearing...even to the point that when i did arrive in septemeber he even came to see me and saying how nice it is that i ended up in exeter and hoped i had a good time.

he'll give 10 mins to anyone and everyone, and will try his best to do anything to help.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    dont tar everyone with the same brush. the AT for maths at exeter is lovely, and really does have a passion for what he does. he was absolutly smashing last summer with me when i went through clearing...even to the point that when i did arrive in septemeber he even came to see me and saying how nice it is that i ended up in exeter and hoped i had a good time.

he'll give 10 mins to anyone and everyone, and will try his best to do anything to help.

love Katy ***
    yes, I totally agree with that. I did not mean to say that Admission Tutors are horrible people - in fact, my post was aimed at making clear just the opposite, namely that they're just humans. My point was basically this: I'm sure your AT at Exeter may have a passion for meeting potential students, helping them, and talking to them. On the other hand, he most probably does not have a passion for the other half of his job, which consists of filling in loads of forms, reading through even more forms, sending off forms to other offices, and receiving another bulk of forms from there.

What I meant to say was that - all being very nice people - most ATs are probably not as obsessed with the formalities and bureaucracy of the application process as a lot of very anxious applicants on this forum seem to think (as often revealed in the Personal Statements subforum).

ReputationRep:
    So does the general admission tutor selects students or the specfic subject admission tutor selects students?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.