Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am an academic student that is expected to do well in all subjects but I feel I don't have the time to dedicate to fulfilling my sketchbook to the best of my ability. I am aiming for an A* but I'm not sure if I'll complete enough work to achieve this any tips to help with this situation?

ReputationRep:
    When I do my art work, I usually cram in as many lunchtime sessions and afterschools as possible. Ive just finished the art GCSE and I can tell you that the work will just keep coming until the last day. It sounds rough, but try and do a few hours in your own time during the week on a couple smaller pieces, and one larger piece on a sunday morning, thats what I did for most of my GCSE and got 74/80 for the coursework. Starting a lot of work early prepares you for the rush of work you're gunna do a week before hand in. I had to miss 3 days of school to catch up, dont put yourself in that situation. Don't put 99% of your time on art, you dont wanna fall behind on everything else. I did graphics as well so you can imagine how the last two years have been for me. Just keep working at a steady level and dont panic to much, and any extrea hour here and there really helps out. Feel free to ask any other questions about the course.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I did art GCSE and hated it for this exact reason, always found it so hard to keep up to art coursework whilst I had all my other subjects ((which I kindof wanted to do better in as I'm doing them for a level)) but I'd just say get as much done as you can as soon as you can so that later on when it counts before exams you have more time to do revision for other subjects and you don't need to stress over art. Try using lunch times if you can and then maybe dedicate one whole day every two weeks to do art all day so you'll get loads done but only use one day out of 14.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jtb135)
    When I do my art work, I usually cram in as many lunchtime sessions and afterschools as possible. Ive just finished the art GCSE and I can tell you that the work will just keep coming until the last day. It sounds rough, but try and do a few hours in your own time during the week on a couple smaller pieces, and one larger piece on a sunday morning, thats what I did for most of my GCSE and got 74/80 for the coursework. Starting a lot of work early prepares you for the rush of work you're gunna do a week before hand in. I had to miss 3 days of school to catch up, dont put yourself in that situation. Don't put 99% of your time on art, you dont wanna fall behind on everything else. I did graphics as well so you can imagine how the last two years have been for me. Just keep working at a steady level and dont panic to much, and any extrea hour here and there really helps out. Feel free to ask any other questions about the course.
    Thank you so much!As I'm taking triple science opposed to graphics,this is a problem for me.Also where do the majority of the GCSE Art marks come from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gordon123)
    Lol I did art GCSE and hated it for this exact reason, always found it so hard to keep up to art coursework whilst I had all my other subjects ((which I kindof wanted to do better in as I'm doing them for a level)) but I'd just say get as much done as you can as soon as you can so that later on when it counts before exams you have more time to do revision for other subjects and you don't need to stress over art. Try using lunch times if you can and then maybe dedicate one whole day every two weeks to do art all day so you'll get loads done but only use one day out of 14.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think if I could re-choose my options I might have not taken Art,the stress is ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Username2016)
    Thank you so much!As I'm taking triple science opposed to graphics,this is a problem for me.Also where do the majority of the GCSE Art marks come from?
    Well a large portion of it, is of course, the work you produce. You dont wanna do 10000 pieces with the quality of a 3 year old, but not 1 piece that could sell for a million pounds. you wanna get good quality and quantity. For my exam project, with triple science, graphics and german controlled assessments, i did 30 pieces, and i almost died, but as some were at a lower quality it brings my grade down a bit. Some marks come from evaluating your pieces, talking about line tone shape blah blah blah, but the same amount of marks comes from linking your work to artists and how youve been 'inspired'... ugh. but examiners love it. Finally, some marks come from your final pieces and the development to them. a guy in my class did an A* final piece but no development to show how he got there and got a C ovverall for his coursework. do writeing as you go, i had to do all of mine the weekend before hand in cos "id do it next week" for two months. Just remember: balance between quality and quantity, evaluation, links, and development. The key ones that get all the marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jtb135)
    Well a large portion of it, is of course, the work you produce. You dont wanna do 10000 pieces with the quality of a 3 year old, but not 1 piece that could sell for a million pounds. you wanna get good quality and quantity. For my exam project, with triple science, graphics and german controlled assessments, i did 30 pieces, and i almost died, but as some were at a lower quality it brings my grade down a bit. Some marks come from evaluating your pieces, talking about line tone shape blah blah blah, but the same amount of marks comes from linking your work to artists and how youve been 'inspired'... ugh. but examiners love it. Finally, some marks come from your final pieces and the development to them. a guy in my class did an A* final piece but no development to show how he got there and got a C ovverall for his coursework. do writeing as you go, i had to do all of mine the weekend before hand in cos "id do it next week" for two months. Just remember: balance between quality and quantity, evaluation, links, and development. The key ones that get all the marks.
    Again grateful for advice,hope I get that A*!!

ReputationRep:
    I think if I could re-choose my options I might have not taken Art,the stress is ridiculous!
    Despite doubts, and extreme stress, at the end of it all looking back through your books you'll be so happy. Ive even been special enough to do it for A-level next year, along with maths, further maths and physics.

ReputationRep:
    Again grateful for advice,hope I get that A*!!
    Just takes a lot of hard work and the A* should be a very difficult piece of cake

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I feel you. I took Art and graphics. Workload was immense.

ReputationRep:
    I started well, but I lost my Art pad 10 days before the exam.
    So I had to limit revision for everything else and spend a few sleepless nights re-doing it all.
    Keep on-top of your work and don't lose anything and you'll be fine.
    I'm absoloutely s*** at art (I'm being serious), but I feel as if I could scrape an A or a Solid B.
    If I can do it anyone can (I'm honestly that bad).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I understand felt exactly the same when I realised how much work it was! Just try to stay motivated to do it because that's what really stumped me, and get it done asap and you'll do fine!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.