urbanlocations
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Before even watching the debate I had my mind set that I was 'Voting Leave'. The remain campaigners were demolished in the debate and could not answer basic questions.

How was the debate for you? and what will you be voting.

Vote LEAVE!!!
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm staunchly remain. I thought the debate was rubbish, didn't particularly care for any of the panellists although whoever was prepping Rudd had some lines on Dodgy Boris. He's going to end up in the gutter like Goldsmith at the end of this. He got obliterated by Nick Cohen in the spectator. I think the mask is finally peeling.
urbanlocations
Rep:
?
(Original post by Davij038)
I'm staunchly remain. I thought the debate was rubbish, didn't particularly care for any of the panellists although whoever was prepping Rudd had some lines on Dodgy Boris. He's going to end up in the gutter like Goldsmith at the end of this. He got obliterated by Nick Cohen in the spectator. I think the mask is finally peeling.
Nicholas Forgan how she has the cheek to stand on that panel when she wants Scotland to leave us ahahahaha
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by urbanlocations)
Nicholas Forgan how she has the cheek to stand on that panel when she wants Scotland to leave us ahahahaha
No more hypocritical in my view than the arguments made by people who think the EU is undemocratic but not the UK.
Betelgeuse-
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I thought Andrea Leadsom was fantastic, standout person amongst the 6. Boris and Gisela did well

Amber Rudd and Angela eagle were horrific, particuarly the latter. It was car crash viewing for her.

Sturgeon easily the best of Remain 3 though that bomb dropped on her about being happy for Brussels to rule over her but not Westminster and the ensuing applause really damaged her performance.

A goodnight for Leave considering I thought Farage was poor a few nights back
urbanlocations
Rep:
?
(Original post by Betelgeuse-)
I thought Andrea Leadsom was fantastic, standout person amongst the 6. Boris and Gisela did well

Amber Rudd and Angela eagle were horrific, particuarly the latter. It was car crash viewing for her.

Sturgeon easily the best of Remain 3 though that bomb dropped on her about being happy for Brussels to rule over her but not Westminster and the ensuing applause really damaged her performance.

A goodnight for Leave considering I thought Farage was poor a few nights back
I agree!!! Andrea Leadsom looked and presented in a very honest way! She came across calm and someone you could trust!
Betelgeuse-
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree!!! Andrea Leadsom looked and presented in a very honest way! She came across calm and someone you could trust!
I will be perfectly honest in admitting i didnt know who she was before the debate. I do now. I actually looked up her odds for next PM and saw they had slashed her from 50/1 to 40/1 so clearly a few others had the same idea!
urbanlocations
Rep:
?
(Original post by Betelgeuse-)
I will be perfectly honest in admitting i didnt know who she was before the debate. I do now. I actually looked up her odds for next PM and saw they had slashed her from 50/1 to 40/1 so clearly a few others had the same idea!
Yeah I have never seen her before either. To be honest I have not seen the other women on the 'leave campaign' who I thought did very well too
Iknowbest
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was really impressed with Andrea Leadsom too and also have no idea who she was! Good debate and it went well for the Leave campaign.
typonaut
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The general problems for the REMAIN campaign, that are not affecting the LEAVE campaign in the same way, are that the REMAIN camp come from across the political spectrum, where the LEAVErs are essentially disaffected Tories.

This leaves the REMAIN camp unable to really tell the simple truths of the case, because they don't want to be seen to be criticising each other. For example they can't stand there and say: "Look how badly Sturgeon got it wrong predicting how Scotland would have a great oil-based economy with independence - oil prices crashed, but at least Scotland had the stability of the UK and EU economies to depend upon".

Likewise it's difficult for a Labour politician to stand there and say "Those bloody Tories will trash our employment rights if given half a chance". Or "The real problem with the NHS is Tory austerity, not the EU".

The only time I've seen this issue for the LEAVE campaign was this evening with Kate Hooey: she was asked on Channel Four News whether she feared the rightwing Brexiteers taking over the government after a referendum, and repealing our equalities, human rights and employment laws. She tried to argue that many of these were in place before EU directives on the matter (she's wrong on this, they were obligations imposed in order to join the EU/EC/EEC in the first place), so why should that change. Then she seemed to claim that Labour politicians would be at the table negotiating these things, so we'd all be safe!?

Surely we all know that the Tory right would be keen to dismantle the rights we enjoy - Gove is working to repeal the Human Rights Act and they have variously said they want to get rid of "red tape". What "red tape" do you really think they want to remove!? That which binds their mates, or that which protects you?
ATW1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would be amazed and highly suspicious if Britain votes Remain after this annihilation. Every single person who watched it would have to be crazy or incredibly stubborn and ignorant (more likely) to still consider voting to Remain.
Excuse Me!
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As hypocritical are the try brexiters who want Scotland to remain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
midnightice
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ATW1)
I would be amazed and highly suspicious if Britain votes Remain after this annihilation. Every single person who watched it would have to be crazy or incredibly stubborn and ignorant (more likely) to still consider voting to Remain.
You could see it in the audience. Perfectly rational arguments being made by Leave that just went over the heads of many. Just a mixture of confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance.

I'm capable of having an open mind and listening and taking on board the arguments for Remain, but they're just so poor and irrational that it actually leaves me disappointed that they can't have a reasonable debate. Their argument is purely one based on risk assessment and it's just not inspiring to listen to at all.
drogon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ATW1)
ah the irony, apparently democracy is only legitimate if you're swayed by one agenda.
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pretty awful debate all round, largely due to the format. Too many people.

Can't see it making any difference whatsoever.
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by midnightice)
You could see it in the audience. Perfectly rational arguments being made by Leave that just went over the heads of many. Just a mixture of confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance.

I'm capable of having an open mind and listening and taking on board the arguments for Remain, but they're just so poor and irrational that it actually leaves me disappointed that they can't have a reasonable debate. Their argument is purely one based on risk assessment and it's just not inspiring to listen to at all.
😂😂😂😂😂
Oh the irony.

Still harping on about that false 350 million figure, comparing the EU to Hitler and scaremongering over turkey?
urbanlocations
Rep:
?
(Original post by ATW1)
I will be voting leave... however I think so many english people are scared to leave...

Therefore we will remain in the EU
urbanlocations
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bornblue)
😂😂😂😂😂
Oh the irony.

Still harping on about that false 350 million figure, comparing the EU to Hitler and scaremongering over turkey?
A lot of scaremongering from the remain also...

Our EU membership cost 10.6 billion... it is fact we don't get any of that back.
urbanlocations
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iknowbest)
I was really impressed with Andrea Leadsom too and also have no idea who she was! Good debate and it went well for the Leave campaign.
and that's what Britain needs!
urbanlocations
Rep:
?
(Original post by typonaut)
The general problems for the REMAIN campaign, that are not affecting the LEAVE campaign in the same way, are that the REMAIN camp come from across the political spectrum, where the LEAVErs are essentially disaffected Tories.

This leaves the REMAIN camp unable to really tell the simple truths of the case, because they don't want to be seen to be criticising each other. For example they can't stand there and say: "Look how badly Sturgeon got it wrong predicting how Scotland would have a great oil-based economy with independence - oil prices crashed, but at least Scotland had the stability of the UK and EU economies to depend upon".

Likewise it's difficult for a Labour politician to stand there and say "Those bloody Tories will trash our employment rights if given half a chance". Or "The real problem with the NHS is Tory austerity, not the EU".

The only time I've seen this issue for the LEAVE campaign was this evening with Kate Hooey: she was asked on Channel Four News whether she feared the rightwing Brexiteers taking over the government after a referendum, and repealing our equalities, human rights and employment laws. She tried to argue that many of these were in place before EU directives on the matter (she's wrong on this, they were obligations imposed in order to join the EU/EC/EEC in the first place), so why should that change. Then she seemed to claim that Labour politicians would be at the table negotiating these things, so we'd all be safe!?

Surely we all know that the Tory right would be keen to dismantle the rights we enjoy - Gove is working to repeal the Human Rights Act and they have variously said they want to get rid of "red tape". What "red tape" do you really think they want to remove!? That which binds their mates, or that which protects you?
To put a very long story short.... Will you vote in or out??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (55)
28.65%
No (137)
71.35%

Watched Threads