Turn on thread page Beta

foundation course watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    is anyone else doing a foundation course before they start their proper thing?

becoz i am and i'm not quite sure how it works. do i have to take exams? and if i fail do i have to keep doing it until i pass?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    is anyone else doing a foundation course before they start their proper thing?

becoz i am and i'm not quite sure how it works. do i have to take exams? and if i fail do i have to keep doing it until i pass?
    I don't know. I don't have to do one of these but i think someone i know had to and i thought it took six months which included assignments and exams which you pass and then do the degree you have chosen.

I'm not sure though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    I don't know. I don't have to do one of these but i think someone i know had to and i thought it took six months which included assignments and exams which you pass and then do the degree you have chosen.

I'm not sure though.
    oh right, i'm not really sure either. and my uni is very un-helpful. i always thought it takes a year to do..

ReputationRep:
    oh right, i'm not really sure either. and my uni is very un-helpful. i always thought it takes a year to do..
    Well i'm taking it from what my sister told me. Her friend decided to go to uni at the age of 28 to do a history degree and they told her because she had not done any a levels within the last three years that she had to do a six month course and after the completion of this they will accept her to do the degree. Anyway .... she got a first in her result last year. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    Well i'm taking it from what my sister told me. Her friend decided to go to uni at the age of 28 to do a history degree and they told her because she had not done any a levels within the last three years that she had to do a six month course and after the completion of this they will accept her to do the degree. Anyway .... she got a first in her result last year. :cool:
    I was meant to be doing a foundation year in medicine at Southampton. Now i don't know whats gonna happen because i didn't finish my exams. Anyway thats besides the point...For my course there were 2 semesters. You had to pass those and an end of year exam to past onto the first year of the standard degree course. No pass, one resit chance and then thats it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I was meant to be doing a foundation year in medicine at Southampton. Now i don't know whats gonna happen because i didn't finish my exams. Anyway thats besides the point...For my course there were 2 semesters. You had to pass those and an end of year exam to past onto the first year of the standard degree course. No pass, one resit chance and then thats it.
    oh right...thanks. i'm crapping myself now.
    does that mean if you fail even the resit you'd be out??

ReputationRep:
    oh right...thanks. i'm crapping myself now.
    does that mean if you fail even the resit you'd be out??

In my case yes

ReputationRep:
    I think there's a bit of confusion here. I think you're talking about two different things. Theres a difference between a foundation year and a foundation degree. Im guessing what Whats_The_411? was talking about is the foundation degree...you can learn more about that from http://develop.ucas.com/FDCourseSearch/About.htm

A foundation year takes a year as Sarky said. Im going to be doing one of those in UMIST for Chemical Engineering starting Sept. 2004.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kraslan)
    I think there's a bit of confusion here. I think you're talking about two different things. Theres a difference between a foundation year and a foundation degree. Im guessing what Whats_The_411? was talking about is the foundation degree...you can learn more about that from http://develop.ucas.com/FDCourseSearch/About.htm

A foundation year takes a year as Sarky said. Im going to be doing one of those in UMIST for Chemical Engineering starting Sept. 2004.
    ahh that clears things up a bit, that site is really helpful. i been lookin for ages and just aint got a clue how to navigate that ucas website.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.