The Student Room Group

Is this the rudest thing?

One of my biggest bug bears is rude people. There is absolutely no need for rudeness. It takes so little to use basic manners and show consideration for other people.

This morning on the train to TSR, which goes past Gatwick Airport so there are lots of people with suitcases, I think I saw the rudest woman I've ever seen.

She wasn't rude with words, in fact, she said nothing at all!

Train is packed, aisles full of people squeezing on. Some people have small suitcases next to them in the aisles, which granted I usually find frustrating but this train is busy with people going to Gatwick and you just have to get on with it.

This lady with HER OWN SMALL SUITCASE (key fact) appears walking down the aisle. Wheeling said suitcase behind her.

She stops at the first suitcase. Looks down at it with a fixed smirk on her face. The guys with the other suitcase panic BECAUSE THEY ARE NICE and try to move their suitcases. Offending woman does not move at all until they are cleared.

Then she moves on without saying thank you or even acknowledging them!

THEN she does it to everyone for an entire carriage!

The thing is, she could have lifted her suitcase up! Or said thank you.

It really doesn't take much.

So, is this the rudest thing or have you seen worse?!

Scroll to see replies

Seems more impolite than rude.

She failed to do something that was expected but her actions didn't tip far into the rude direction I don't think.
If that's the rudest thing you've ever seen then you've probably got a shock coming....
Reply 3
Would you have found it more rude if I had been there and stared back at her and not moved my suitcase?
silly woman, thats an entitled attitude, very rude, should have refused to move their bags i would have
It's so rude when people put their bags on seats on busy trains - why don't people have proper train etiquette!! :angry:
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Seems more impolite than rude.

She failed to do something that was expected but her actions didn't tip far into the rude direction I don't think.

Original post by TheGrammarGuru
If that's the rudest thing you've ever seen then you've probably got a shock coming....

Really? I thought it was an appalling attitude. Impolite and rude are one and the same thing to me I think.

Original post by whitetack
silly woman, thats an entitled attitude, very rude, should have refused to move their bags i would have

I agree.

Original post by inhuman
Would you have found it more rude if I had been there and stared back at her and not moved my suitcase?

Not really - had I have had a suitcase, saw what she did to other people and then approached me, I would have done that, raising my eye brows waiting for her to say a simple "Please can you move your suitcase" or "excuse me can I get past"
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Captain Jack
Not really - had I have had a suitcase, saw what she did to other people and then approached me, I would have done that, raising my eye brows waiting for her to say a simple "Please can you move your suitcase" or "excuse me can I get past"

Ok fair enough.

I agree with you. It's the little things, that show the character of a person. And this lady is clearly ridiculously entitled.
Reply 8
Original post by Fox Corner
It's so rude when people put their bags on seats on busy trains - why don't people have proper train etiquette!! :angry:

This is far ruder

Yes! Last time I went home on the train (2 1/2 hours) it was really full and I didn't have a seat booked. I had a sprained ankle and about 1/2 an hour into the journey it started hurting so I figured I might as well try and look for a seat. There was one free seat which a woman had put her handbag on. So I very politely asked if I could sit there and was greeted with a very rude no, with literally no explanation as to why I had to stand for two hours when I very clearly was in pain and couldn't even walk properly 😡

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
m8 I live in London, this is called polite here :rofl:
Original post by daisymaisy98
Yes! Last time I went home on the train (2 1/2 hours) it was really full and I didn't have a seat booked. I had a sprained ankle and about 1/2 an hour into the journey it started hurting so I figured I might as well try and look for a seat. There was one free seat which a woman had put her handbag on. So I very politely asked if I could sit there and was greeted with a very rude no, with literally no explanation as to why I had to stand for two hours when I very clearly was in pain and couldn't even walk properly 😡

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rant::rant::rant: I can't actually believe how rude that is! You should have reported her to the conductor.
Original post by Captain Jack
Really? I thought it was an appalling attitude. Impolite and rude are one and the same.

Barging past would be far worse.
Still, entitled people are annoying and it doesn't hurt to be courteous. I'm sympathetic
what happens if she has a medical issue that means she can't lift the suitcase?

Should she have to explain this to everyone?
:rant::rant::rant: I can't actually believe how rude that is! You should have reported her to the conductor.

I didn't want to kick up a fuss or walk down the train to find the conductor (painful ankle and I was travelling with 3 kids I didn't want to leave alone) so I just left it, but it did annoy me 🙃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
What if she is disable?
What's rude is when you ask someone directly a question on TSR and they don't respond, even when they're online on the same thread!
I hate rude people too. I understand what you mean.
Original post by BaconandSauce
what happens if she has a medical issue that means she can't lift the suitcase?

Should she have to explain this to everyone?

I think if it were me I would still say excuse me or apologise because I couldn't lift it... Or just not walk down a packed train when there were no seats as everyone was standing. Dunno, if there was a genuine reason of course I would feel differently but it didn't seem like that :-/
We really could do with a heavily armed Etiquette Police to patrol all public areas and rigidly enforce polite behaviour, perhaps with the use of shock batons and stun grenades.

Our once extremely polite country is descending into a mire of impolite barbarism. Only extreme measures can save us.

Quick Reply

Latest