The Student Room Group

Transferring universities

Hello there. I'm Raul. My first time here. I'm currently meant to be in the second year however due to severe depression I had to freeze my course and take off the year. I'm still struggling and am quite sad about the loss of year but I decided that it was time to change things up and try something new out.

I've lived in London nearly all my life. Hardly traveled anywhere and when I went university, I stayed at home missing out on pretty much everything. I currently go to London South bank university.

I decided that I want to go somewhere outside London, as far as I can, as a matter of fact but I don't know if universities even take in transferred students into second year into consideration! So, If you could give me insight on this, I would be grateful.

Furthermore, if I CAN transfer, I'd like to go to a university better than the one I currently go to. I'll admit I wasn't a hardworker throughout my school life and I have pretty bad grades when it comes to Alevels. Well, very bad grades. Although, I did get 71% at the end of my first year. I don't know if it even counts as anything but hopefully it does.

Also, I heard that if you go through clearing, when the time comes, the universities are much more lenient in letting you into the course that you couldn't have got into if you applied normally. These are all hypothesis about what I heard and am not really sure. So I'm asking for help. Thank you for reading this and I'll take in all the help I can get. :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by Xtrykr
I decided that I want to go somewhere outside London, as far as I can, as a matter of fact but I don't know if universities even take in transferred students into second year into consideration! So, If you could give me insight on this, I would be grateful.

Sorry to hear you've been having a tough time.

Is this for engineering?

And have a look at the TSR FAQ and thread on the subject of transfers
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424

Edit to add: and I don't think you can use UCAS Clearing for 2nd year transfers. But experts like @PQ @Carnationlilyrose and @Minerva will know more.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd say try and transfer into second year, with a score of 71% behind you you should have a decent pick of universities.
Reply 3
Original post by Xtrykr
Hello there. I'm Raul. My first time here. I'm currently meant to be in the second year however due to severe depression I had to freeze my course and take off the year. I'm still struggling and am quite sad about the loss of year but I decided that it was time to change things up and try something new out.

I've lived in London nearly all my life. Hardly traveled anywhere and when I went university, I stayed at home missing out on pretty much everything. I currently go to London South bank university.

Furthermore, if I CAN transfer, I'd like to go to a university better than the one I currently go to. I'll admit I wasn't a hardworker throughout my school life and I have pretty bad grades when it comes to Alevels. Well, very bad grades. Although, I did get 71% at the end of my first year. I don't know if it even counts as anything but hopefully it does.

Also, I heard that if you go through clearing, when the time comes, the universities are much more lenient in letting you into the course that you couldn't have got into if you applied normally. These are all hypothesis about what I heard and am not really sure. So I'm asking for help. Thank you for reading this and I'll take in all the help I can get. :biggrin:
Whether you can use the first year you've done as the basis for transferring into second year at another university depends on the course and the uni/s you have in mind. You wouldn't normally be able to use Clearing for this purpose. However you can contact unis that interest you now and see what they say. If they are willing to consider you for transfer in to second year, you will need to complete a UCAS application complete with reference and PS; the UCAS deadline for completing this is 30 June, though the uni may set an earlier one.

If you decide you'd like to start again, assuming a transfer isn't possible, you can use the same application to apply for first year entry. If you haven't used up all your five choices, and it's before 30 June, you will be able to add further choices, specifying first year rather than second year entry (you can have a mix on the same form). However, remember that your personal statement will be available to all your choices, so you may wish to let the unis you are applying to for first year entry know separately why your PS talks about transferring.

After 30 June, you can still submit an application to UCAS but you definitely won't be able to add any first year entry choices; you would have to wait for Clearing. You do not have to withdraw from your current uni to submit an application, by the way. If a uni is willing to consider you for second year entry but you haven't added the choice by 30 June, you will need to contact UCAS for advice on whether/how this can be done.

That you achieved 71% at the end of your first year may indeed help to make up for your A level grades - it is up to the individual uni/s. Grade requirements aren't necessarily reduced in Clearing but it certainly can happen.

It is also worth being ready to convince a new university that you are well enough to cope with the demands of being at a new uni and getting started again on your studies - it is important not to dent your confidence by putting yourself at risk of becoming ill again.

The final point I'd make is that if you have only used up one year's worth of Student Finance, you should be able to get full funding for starting again, but you might want to check that out as well before you start.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest