Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a student nurse and thinking about subscribing to a journal? But I'm unsure if this we will be beneficial? I also don't know which to choose! Any help would be appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by wbnurse)
    I'm a student nurse and thinking about subscribing to a journal? But I'm unsure if this we will be beneficial? I also don't know which to choose! Any help would be appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you're wanting something to use in your essays, the British Journal of Nursing is probably amongst the best. I also like the Journal of Wound Care and the Journal of Community Nursing. Both the Standard and Times are not quite as reliable evidence-wise and are more for easy reading than academic use. I prefer the Standard personally, but it's just because I find it a little more academic than the Times which has a lot of opinion pieces. WHSmith usually has the Standard, if you want to try it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wbnurse)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you're doing your nursing you should have access to those journals and others through your university and their library.
    You can also join the rcn for £10 pa and then have access to many journals and articles etc through them also.
    Don't waste your money on subscriptions when you can access many of them for much less money as a student. Take advantage of being a student! It goes too quick!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The NS and NT are the sort of tabloids of the nursing journal world. I used to get the NS as a student as it was discounted for RCN student members. You can pick up both in larger newsagents, like big WHSmiths in town centres. While other publications are much better for academic work, both these journals are useful for current affairs within nursing and healthcare, which is useful to be up to date with, especially when you start looking for jobs.

As deviant182 has said though, you should be able to get access to electronic full text articles from those journals through databases your university has access to like CINAHL.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.