Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Calling all International Students for advice - a difficult situation Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I hope someone out there can give me advice on this. I am desperate for some good news.

My girlfriend is Vietnamese, I met her while living there. I recently moved back to the UK for study, but she is still living in Vietnam. She has dreamed of studying in Europe for years, and she is trying to go to England as her first choice.

Her grades are strong enough to be accepted here, her family finance is not.

My question is for students who come from outside Europe, from a country where the currency is not so strong:

How do you handle the high cost of studying here? Is everyone on a scholarship?

I know it is sensitive to talk about money. But really, there are some countries with a 'weak' currency like Vietnam, which makes it so difficult to come to Expensive England.

For the VISA, you must show the UK government evidence of your finances. £9,135 for 9 months, and then the cost of your course.

I have been looking at scholarships, but I only find options for maybe 50% of the course.

So I want to ask, really, how do we do it? Was your family able to pay for your study? Did you find a 100% scholarship? Even then, how do you afford the crazy cost of living?

I am starting to think I'll never see her again and there is 0% chance of her coming here.

I am not making any judgements about money - I just want advice.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Unfortunately pretty much all the international students I've met in the UK (although I'm a home student so haven't looked all that much into it/ interrogated them or anything...) seem to be either paying the full fees themselves (or their parents) or are on merit-based scholarships funded by their home country's government. I guess the UK already has enough international students it doesn't feel a need to attract more, and universities are preferring to reserve their scholarship funds for supporting poorer home students - probably funded somewhat by the high tuition fees international students pay.

Basically, it comes down to the priorities of higher education in different countries - in the UK it is to support UK students (and earn money off international students who are attracted by our good education standards), whereas in some other countries they offer scholarships to international students to increase the international outlook of their universities (and hence uni ranking in some league tables) and bring in graduate talent from abroad.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.