The Student Room Group

Edexcel Biology IGCSE 2B Unofficial Mark Scheme 10th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rcmack
yea, there were 0 homozygous dominant

tuts what i got
Original post by rubyv
I put fovea not retina! Will I get the mark d'you reckon?

sameee- but i thinkn fovea will be one of the accept answers
cos rod cells and cone cells detect light and they are the most abundant in the fovea
Original post by jose99
but surely the amount of food to be digested will affect the time?

Don't worry I put a mix, one of my points was the size of the food like you said, the other was temperature (optimum temp for enzymes means faster digestion) Hoping they will accept both approaches?
Reply 123
Original post by loshaw20
sameee- but i thinkn fovea will be one of the accept answers
cos rod cells and cone cells detect light and they are the most abundant in the fovea

Thank god, someone else! Ah good, thanks
Original post by rubyv
Thank god, someone else! Ah good, thanks

haha good thats what i thought when i saw ur comment :biggrin:
Original post by Pedaly7
the black sheet felt more like a physics question......
the majority of answers in my grade talked about: -retains heat /black absorbs heat/ reduces heat loss. -prevents water from evaporating and mineral ions from evaporating. And some rarer ones like prevents loss of nitrogent/nitrates from denitrifying bacteria or prevents other plants from growing (and competition for food) as it blocks sunlight. Not sure about the last two though

I was really confused on this one, I thought of the physics stuff but I didn't think it could be right so I made something up. Oops.
Does anyone know the answer to the question abut cholesterol building up in the arteries leading to the leg muscles?
Original post by niv1234
Does anyone know the answer to the question abut cholesterol building up in the arteries leading to the leg muscles?

Cholestrol build up causes narrowing of artery - angina.
Therefore less blood travels through the artery per second.
Therefore less red blood cells.
Therefore less oxygen.
Muscles need oxygen for aerobic respiration
to provide energy for muscle cells.
Therefore muscles get extra energy required from anaerobic respiration
Glucose ---- lactic acid + energy
Lactic acid causes pains/cramps in leg muscles.
Lactic acid lowers pH, not optimum pH for enzymes, causing enzymes ot denature, active site no longer fits, causing some muscle cells to die.
Original post by loshaw20
haha good thats what i thought when i saw ur comment :biggrin:

Officially it is really the rods and cones which are teh light receptors. Therefore fovea should be accepted, but retina is better either way (retina contains all the rods and cones, fovea only contains some...)
Question 1 was what process do plants use to release glucose
Surely that's photosynthesis as that produces glucose whereas respiration uses it
I put the enzyme as amylase

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by niv1234
I was really confused on this one, I thought of the physics stuff but I didn't think it could be right so I made something up. Oops.

i only managed to write in one point for that question. i ended up saying that black was a good absorber of heat therefore allowing sufficient light inside making it optimum for photosynthesis and respiration. but yeah awfully reminded me of physics
Original post by melisss22
i only managed to write in one point for that question. i ended up saying that black was a good absorber of heat therefore allowing sufficient light inside making it optimum for photosynthesis and respiration. but yeah awfully reminded me of physics

Thanks for replying. I thought of the physics stuff but then I thought that it couldn't be right. So I wrote it stops water evaporating from the soil and the black would prevent snails and birds from eating it. The second point makes no sense but I didn't want to leave it blank.
Original post by Martins1
Cholestrol build up causes narrowing of artery - angina.
Therefore less blood travels through the artery per second.
Therefore less red blood cells.
Therefore less oxygen.
Muscles need oxygen for aerobic respiration
to provide energy for muscle cells.
Therefore muscles get extra energy required from anaerobic respiration
Glucose ---- lactic acid + energy
Lactic acid causes pains/cramps in leg muscles.
Lactic acid lowers pH, not optimum pH for enzymes, causing enzymes ot denature, active site no longer fits, causing some muscle cells to die.

Thanks for replying. Thats more or less what I wrote but I wasn't exactly sure.
What will the grade boundaries for igcse biology be?
I was just wondering, do you have to round for your answer?

Original post by conradliebers
You are right as well as me, I thought there was something wrong with it. Other people said it was 73.2 but it was 72.3 so it was 28.92 hence 28.9. Thanks.
Original post by TherealG
Surely that's photosynthesis as that produces glucose whereas respiration uses it

no the question was how do they release energy from glucose, and this is respiration. Photosynthesis makes the glucose in the first place
What do we think the grade boundary will be for an A*?
do pH and humidity count as abiotic factors?
Original post by TherealG

No respiration changes glucose + oxygen to energy, water and Co2; whilst photosynthesis changes co2 and water into glucose and oxygen.
Original post by melisss22

I couldn't think of any answers so wrote two rubbish asnwers - until the last 20 seconds when I realised that it stopped weeds growing - I scribbled it down, having crossed out an answer, and finsihed with seconds to spare. Turns out the rubbish answer I crossed out could have been right - it stops rain from causing soil erosion. Which was annoying, considering my other answer was genuine utter rubbish ...
Original post by Hsevras
I put the enzyme as amylase

Yeah, pretty much any enzyme was correct.
Original post by niv1234
Thanks for replying. Thats more or less what I wrote but I wasn't exactly sure.

No problem, I'm sure you'll get the marks.
Original post by iah1700
What will the grade boundaries for igcse biology be?

A* = 135
A = 120
B = 100
C = 85
Original post by h_wxller1
What do we think the grade boundary will be for an A*?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending