Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Ive had a horrible time with my course at my current university. I failed my exams first year but managed to get into second year by passing my resits. I only carried on because it was easy to keep going. Ive just finished second year and I've failed again. Ive hated the course all year and really want to change it as well as my university.

Does anyone know what happens with student finance, will I be eligible for government funding? and also does anyone know how difficult it will be to change university? I have way above the A-level entry grades but i'm thinking they wont like the fact Ive failed 2 years at my current institute.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C2B4)
    Hi all,

Ive had a horrible time with my course at my current university. I failed my exams first year but managed to get into second year by passing my resits. I only carried on because it was easy to keep going. Ive just finished second year and I've failed again. Ive hated the course all year and really want to change it as well as my university.

Does anyone know what happens with student finance, will I be eligible for government funding? and also does anyone know how difficult it will be to change university? I have way above the A-level entry grades but i'm thinking they wont like the fact Ive failed 2 years at my current institute.
    From a funding point of view I had a friend do this last year and he had to pay the fees and living of the first year of his new course then he got funding for the rest of it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by C2B4)
    Hi all,

You still have 2 years of funding left, you could look into second year entry somewhere if its a similar course. But otherwise you'd need to fund a new 1st year yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    You still have 2 years of funding left, you could look into second year entry somewhere if its a similar course. But otherwise you'd need to fund a new 1st year yourself.
    So I would be fully funded for transferring straight into second year of a course? Also is it best reapplying and going straight into course at the start of this academic year or would it be better to reapply through UCAS next year?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by C2B4)
    So I would be fully funded for transferring straight into second year of a course? Also is it best reapplying and going straight into course at the start of this academic year or would it be better to reapply through UCAS next year?
    Yes you should be Better to try this year I think, get calling admissions with your transcript in your hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C2B4)
    Given that you initially failed your first year and have now failed your second, I think you will find it extremely difficult to get another university to accept you into their second year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Given that you initially failed your first year and have now failed your second, I think you will find it extremely difficult to get another university to accept you into their second year.
    I'm not applying to a russell group university and I have above the entry requirements for the course. I think they will definitely consider my application as I have reasons as to why I've not done well at my current university. I don't really have another plan so I can only hope really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C2B4)
    I'm not applying to a russell group university and I have above the entry requirements for the course. I think they will definitely consider my application as I have reasons as to why I've not done well at my current university. I don't really have another plan so I can only hope really
    What reasons? All we know is that you have had a horrible time and hate the course.

Have you considered a year off before plunging in again straight away?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.